Menu

What to do after Beast Academy 5B?

My son is 9 (10 in June) and almost finished with beast academy 4. We are going through it quite quickly. Soon he will start 5a and then 5b, but after that, it will be a good while before 5c and 5d are released :(

He's very passionate about math and we don't want to stop doing math even over the summer. But I'm not sure what the next steps will be for him.

Online classes? AOPS? Something totally different?

AOPS pre-A.  There's a thread here somewhere about going from 5B to pre-A quite successfully - very little extra practice needed, I think.  If I recall, the biggest hurdle was no more comics :)

That Human Endeavor book is quite fun.  I plan to use it along with Zaccaro Challenge Math to tide us over when DS#1 catches up to the BA production schedule, though I've been trying to stretch out our time in BA4 by letting DS#1 play Prodigy and other games during math time.  That and I took his practice book away so I can limit the number of pages he does in a day now, lol.  

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! I am wondering if there is an online AOPS class that everyone recommends most? I think it would be best if he takes this from someone who is good at AOPS. There are already points where he surpasses my knowledge. I want him to continue doing well :)

I hear the AOPS online class moves pretty quickly. Anyone want to chime in on the WTMA AOPS class? My daughter and I just started the AOPS prealgebra book sans class (having just recently finished BA 5A) and are really enjoying doing it together. I think your son will enjoy it. There are no monsters but the fun puzzle type problems are still there and the short videos that go along with the text on the AOPS website are great fun.

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! I am wondering if there is an online AOPS class that everyone recommends most? I think it would be best if he takes this from someone who is good at AOPS. There are already points where he surpasses my knowledge. I want him to continue doing well :)

Honestly, I would get the book first before signing up for a class.  Look through it, maybe have your DS look through it.  It may be that your DS will have some problems with all the proving and may need to work slower or you may find that there were some jumps made in 5C/D that need to be quickly covered...or not and he will do fine going straight into it :) 

That's what I would do - I am working through it myself, about 3/4 way done (needing to get through Pre-Calc by next year) but maybe it's my old fogey foggy brain that works slower than the munchkins.