Menu

Updated post #144 Probably controversial but... (vent)

creekland

Creekland is right about looking into your local CC. If you can't manage that yet, look into studying for CLEP exams. Many public universities will accept these credits and you can get started on your own without any money down until you're ready to take the test.

Another alternative is the EdX-ASU Global Freshman Academy here:

https://www.edx.org/course?search_query=asu

If you haven't been in school for a while, I'd audit a class for free first and see how it goes. Then you can register for credit next time they offer it. The credit costs about $600 but is from Arizona State which is a highly respectable school that offers bachelor's degrees that are completely online.

Thank you, chiguirre.  I did sign up for an online course this semester and I am loving it and doing well.  It's really the financial part that I am struggling with.  We have two in high school aged children so I feel like I need to put their college plans before mine and dh doesn't see a degree for me as a necessity at all.  I guess it's probably not but I just really want the experience and the accomplishment.  

Going to college was a BIG DEAL for me.  I begged my parents for help but they did not want to discuss it any further and it became a taboo subject.  Being happy for my friends who got to go but also really jealous was hard.  Lots of awkward conversations in my early 20's when people thought I was going to school and would ask what my major was.  

I keep telling myself things worked out fine, it's not that big of a deal and I should probably get over it but it's difficult.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, chiguirre.  I did sign up for an online course this semester and I am loving it and doing well.  It's really the financial part that I am struggling with.  We have two in high school aged children so I feel like I need to put their college plans before mine and dh doesn't see a degree for me as a necessity at all.  I guess it's probably not but I just really want the experience and the accomplishment.  

Going to college was a BIG DEAL for me.  I begged my parents for help but they did not want to discuss it any further and it became a taboo subject.  Being happy for my friends who got to go but also really jealous was hard.  Lots of awkward conversations in my early 20's when people thought I was going to school and would ask what my major was.  

I keep telling myself things worked out fine, it's not that big of a deal and I should probably get over it but it's difficult.

Forgive me.  If it matters to you a big deal, it is a big deal.  

Sometimes the time is right for other people to go first.  It's not right to ALWAYS put yourself last.  If you are not advocating for yourself, who will?

• Like 7