Menu

Catholic question

Misha

I remember reading (at Catholic Answes maybe) whether a bishop was really even allowed to make a decision not to allow teaching at home.

I think there can be very good reasons to not allow it, but the argument seemed to be that to restrict people from sacraments who were in fact prepared was just over-stepping on the part of the clergy.  I can also see that - of course it would mean actually looking to see if the person was prepared, but there is something a little off about demanding classes from someone who is actually ready, just to check boxes.

Oh, I definitely agree with this.

Publicly I support our DRE. As a religious ed teacher, I think this is necessary. Privately is a different story. 

I recently ran across a chapter in a book about how church law allows RE to happen at home and sacraments can't be denied to anyone who chooses this route. I may or may not have daydreamed about leaving an anonymous copy on the DRE's desk.

Oh, I definitely agree with this.

Publicly I support our DRE. As a religious ed teacher, I think this is necessary. Privately is a different story. 

I recently ran across a chapter in a book about how church law allows RE to happen at home and sacraments can't be denied to anyone who chooses this route. I may or may not have daydreamed about leaving an anonymous copy on the DRE's desk.

I would like to more about this myself.  

My kids find RE sometimes very rudimentary.  The High School group seems well done but through 8th grade is bad.

I remember reading (at Catholic Answes maybe) whether a bishop was really even allowed to make a decision not to allow teaching at home.

I think there can be very good reasons to not allow it, but the argument seemed to be that to restrict people from sacraments who were in fact prepared was just over-stepping on the part of the clergy. I can also see that - of course it would mean actually looking to see if the person was prepared, but there is something a little off about demanding classes from someone who is actually ready, just to check boxes.

Yes, the bishop can deny a parent the right to do religious Ed at home. But he is accountable to someone as well and you can continue up the line until you reach the Vatican. In the past, the Vatican has sided with parents in the argument of sacramental prep or when a sacrament can be received. I wish I still had the info about this but it was lost during a move. Goggle may bring up something, I'll do some hunting later today.

And in most cases it won't come to that. Often a compromise can be reached, where you do most of it at home, but the child attends the retreat and certain other events. Being open to compromise can make a difference. 

That said, for us it's important for me to have my daughter in RE, because it's the only time she's around other Catholics. 

• Like 1

And in most cases it won't come to that. Often a compromise can be reached, where you do most of it at home, but the child attends the retreat and certain other events. Being open to compromise can make a difference.

That said, for us it's important for me to have my daughter in RE, because it's the only time she's around other Catholics.

Very true about compromise. We are blessed to have many practicing Catholics in our family so my kids are around Catholic relatives quite often. Even if they weren't the majority of the catechists are so poorly trained in the Church's teaching that I wouldn't want the conflicting information at such a young age. There are a few catechists that I'd happily have my kids in their classes is I could guarantee them. But I can't so we do it all at home. I actually have to make the call about doing sacramental prep at home soon.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is getting too far off the original topic, but about RE, I just want to add that, in general, my opinion is that a lot of kids' religious materials, curricula, courses, and VBS packages seem really lame--Catholic and otherwise.  I rarely find beautifully-created materials that speak to children without dumb-ing things down in cheesy or comic-bookish ways.  

I have a few books by illustrators like Tomie dePaola and authors like Sister Wendy Beckett that are truly thoughtful and inspiring, created for children but appealing to all ages.  Maybe the lameness in a lot of materials is due to the nature of trying to address concepts to a wide range of ages, experience levels, cultures, etc.

Personally, I just talk to my kids like real human beings about Jesus, God, faith, prayer, and all of the other questions they have...

If I just went off of what was being taught and how it was conveyed--materials-wise, I could see where people would want to teach at home.  It's not that the content is erroneous in doctrine or theology.  It's just not glowing and beautiful.

I imagine some parishes have such a small number of children--or many other extenuating circumstances that would make teaching RE at home appealing?  Maybe even more so for homeschoolers, as they're used to taking up the reins?  

The RE class DD is in this year is probably way below her level of knowledge in terms of Scripture (not trying to brag; her teachers say she could teach the class.)  I assume this is mostly because she has always asked a lot of questions about God/faith and we answer them and have read a lot of Bible stories and related things as a family for years.  As converts, there's a lot of content I feel shaky on covering at home (formulaic prayers, culture/customs, Church history, the saints.)  It's overwhelming, so I'm happy to have such support.

Anyway, we plan to have DD continue in with RE at church because there is a real value in her going to the class, brushing up against other kids her age who are also learning about Catholicism, learning from other adults who are good role models in the faith (so it's not just Mom and Dad teaching), and having a "touchstone" with church midway through the week that is just for kids vs. solely relying on the Mass for this contact each week.  There is a continuity of community being built and a happiness that I can see in her where she feels she belongs at our church.  I hope that will grow.  So, for those reasons, it seems like the RE process is very valuable where we currently are in life/community.  

A bit off-topic, but I'm getting a lot out of this thread; I wanted to share.  

[ETA: Oh, I missed 'heartlikealion''s post about her situation...that makes sense.  So there are parishes where RE isn't an option or it's not practical for some families.]

Edited by vonbon
  • Like 1

Oh yes on the lame religious materials.  It is so difficult to find things, even basic Biblical commentaries, that aren't lame and even embarrasing.

I remember around the age of 10 being just fed up with Sunday school activities, they seemed so silly and pointless.

And finding teachers is also really hard - the knowledge required to practice is not necessarily the level required to teach kids.  And the ability to describe things accurately to kids who aren't able to conceptualize some ideas yet is a real talent.

But I do think there is always a worry with kids taught at home that they may end up being given a one-sided view in another way. 

• Like 1

I went through CCD at church (started in one state, finished in another) and got confirmed in 11th? grade. I don't even remember the materials! But I can imagine a lot of them being cheesy or whatever. I actually like some children's materials. This is one I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Little-Acts-Grace-Rosemarie-Gortler/dp/0970775679. I find them less intimidating to use for me and easy to understand for children. During Lent we got some printables via Catholic Icing. A countdown to lent chart and a wheel that shows different liturgical seasons and the vestment colors. Although using the site I did run into a comment on either that site or a secondary site noting that one activity was considered inappropriate for Catholics (recreating a Passover meal or something??). After that I made a mental note to think twice about online Catholic education suggestions.

I jokingly told dh years ago I didn't want to ever send our kids to Catholic school because all the people I've met that went to Catholic school wanted nothing to do with the faith after that lol. But I really am open to it, just not possible where I currently live.

I never formed any close bonds with Catholics despite CCD or even youth group. In college I met a few Catholics and one of them did the reading in our wedding, but for the most part I don't have Catholic friends. It was really, really hard for us to pick godparents.

• Like 1

Just want to list 2 titles that are really helping us "newbies", in case anyone else might benefit from them.  They're pretty good resources, but consider the ages of my kids with the first one (7 yo, 4 yo), as it might be a bit basic for older children or those more experienced with the Mass.  The second book listed is great and straight-forward, an all-in-one place to find prayers; I'm going to use it for myself too: 

A Child's Book of the Mass by Puntel and Roberts

The Catholic Children's Prayer Book (Saint Mary's Press)