Menu

Do you let your kids swing from the ceiling fans?

SparklyUnicorn

As part of our Christmas decorating growing up, my mom and I used to tie hollow plastic reindeer to the ceilng fan and then start up the fan. It was the best part of decorating and utterly hilarious. We'd laugh and laugh and laugh at those reindeer flying around the room.

That's rather awesome. Noting "add reindeer to snowflakes on fan" to my list of Things Cool Grandmas Do."

When my children were infants I saw all the other moms buying colorful bouncy chairs and baby swings and it just seemed so artificial to me. I decided there and then that I wanted my children to experience life in a much more organic way. Putting my infants on the ceiling fan and letting them go for a spin was among the many activities I had my them do to make them strronger, both mentally and physically. I strongly recommend it for muscle development, balance and survival skills. Now that they are older I have them climb telephone poles and use the wires for zip lining. I refuse to pay money for expensive outdoor adventure packages!

• Like 7

One day I walked into the living room as the kids were throwing crayons at the fan...thinking it was kinda cool to see them break into pieces and fly all around the room. I put a stop to that, but gave them empty toilet paper tubes instead...and one of our favorite family activities was born. It's even better with ping pong balls. SO FUN! (Obviously if you have valuables, put them away...and the kids have to expect the probability of getting pegged by one or two....)

(A really funny part to this is that my dh was talking about our game once to our congregation at church, but instead of saying ping pong balls...he said golf balls. So people were imagining flying golf balls....)

• Like 2