Menu

15 year old in need of good intro. refresher/overview writing course...

He just doesn't seem to have a grasp of writing, the writing process, structure, organization, etc.  We've done IEW in the past and Write at Home last year and this year so he's not been without instruction and direction.  But, he either isn't transferring what he knows or he doesn't really know/understand.  We've been focused homeschoolers all his life, not unschoolers, but I've also not been the driven, overachieving homeschool teacher/parent.  I say that because maybe this is a hole I've caused?  He is at the age where another voice/teacher is more needed because he's not really "listening" to me and my help/direction and just thinks I want him to do it "my way" instead of it being "the way" and it ends up being a session of butting heads.  :-/  Is there a mini-mester type thing he could do over the summer or something like that?  I really don't think a self-teaching textbook type option is what he needs unless it's really good and understandable.  I have Beyond the Book Report the 3rd season/section from the Analytical Grammar folks that I was told might help, but if there is another option I'd be happy to hear it!  Thanks.

I'll 2nd the suggestion you already got about trying  Teaching the Essay and Teaching the Research Paper. 

These were very good help to my son who was struggling.

Both really helped him with how to structure things, and his writing has really taken off this year.  He is doing academic writing for his biology class as well as writing for his English class; and both are coming along really well. 

You might also take a look at Bravewriter  http://www.bravewriter.com/  

They've got some short online classes that might work.  (I've never tried any, but have heard decent reviews).

• Like 1

What about Sharon Watson's Power in Your Hands book. It's written to the student and has rubrics for grading, so it wouldn't be you, but the book setting the standard. You could also send a few of the final papers to Write At Home for grading and feedback.

We loved attune-up http://www.attuneup.com/catalog1.htmlThere might be time to get into one of the spring phases. She has summer courses, but I'm not sure what they'll be.

• Like 1

I was going to suggest Bravewriter. They are 6 week classes, focused and interesting, good feedback from the teachers. You email Julie Bogart and send her a writing sample and she'd help you with placement, but the Kidswrite Intermediate class it where I'd lean from what you described.  It spends 6 weeks focusing on the kind of thinking/prewriting activities that go into crafting a good essay.  Then you move to Expository Essay, which teaches you how to organize and write the essay. They have specific classes on other writing forms for high schoolers, too.  They are pricey, but if your budget allows, it can be a great way to get several intensive writing workshops in over the course of one year.  I like that it isn't a full-year commitment so you can do other things too if you want to (like practice the skills you learn in the class writing across the curriculum).

• Like 2

If you are up for a year of it, Potter's School English 1 is a very complete writing course. 

Landry Academy may have a summer writing option.

Would they allow a 15 year old to take it and just that one class?  I looked at them last year and it just seems hard for us to get started with them at this age with all the pre-reqs and they also required more than one class be taken or have already been taken through them to enroll.  I just haven't considered them again. 

Edited by Dianne-TX

Would they allow a 15 year old to take it and just that one class?  I looked at them last year and it just seems hard for us to get started with them at this age with all the pre-reqs and they also required more than one class be taken or have already been taken through them to enroll.  I just haven't considered them again. 

Yes.  My 13 year old took it this year and she had kids aged 11-17 in her class.

• Like 1