Menu

A bug has given me a black eye!

I got a bug bite on Sunday under my eye. By Monday morning it had swollen up - the bag under my eye is about 1 inch by 1 1/2 inch. I've been putting cold compresses on my eye and the swelling went down a bit. But it is super itchy and now it seems to be swelling a bit more. I've put some tea-tree oil on it (antiseptic) but it really stings. Any suggestions? (The black eye part is from the fluid pulling at the bottom of the swollen area.)

I got a bug bite on Sunday under my eye. By Monday morning it had swollen up - the bag under my eye is about 1 inch by 1 1/2 inch. I've been putting cold compresses on my eye and the swelling went down a bit. But it is super itchy and now it seems to be swelling a bit more. I've put some tea-tree oil on it (antiseptic) but it really stings. Any suggestions? (The black eye part is from the fluid pulling at the bottom of the swollen area.)

Have you tried an anti-histamine? Your reaction sounds like the typical allergic reaction to a bug bite, but in soft tissue. I'd try some benedryl.

So sorry you have to deal with this!

In addition to the other suggestions, you might try a very small amount of something like Preparation H around the bite. It's all about shrinkage. I tried this, on my doctor's suggestion, after a really nasty wasp bite on my neck. It works!!!!!

I'm trying to imagine Prep H with a warning about applying near the eye.

Again, Jean, another pickle? I should talk, I've had both eyes swollen shut by a hoard of nocturnal insects that couldn't get at any other part of me.

Use common sense. If this starts turning into generalized symptoms, nausea, fever, etc. you can get a nasty periorbital cellulitis that can go very quickly. If you are diabetic or on any immune modulators, I wouldn't delay.

I'm going to take Benedryl tonight. It should help me to sleep, which for this insomniac should be a bonus!

I'm out of Prep. H. Dh says some people use it for wrinkles! (But I hear you Kalanamak about being careful around the eyes).

I also hear you about the cellulitis. I'm watching it really carefully. Oh and about me being in another pickle? - there is a reason my nickname in high school was "Pickle"!

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

I'm so sorry! I use an antiseptic cream that contains tea tree oil for most of our stuff we get, too, so I can't think of anything else to recommend. It concerns me that it's black and so swollen. Could it be from a spider? Because it's so close to your eye, please see someone soon if it doesn't start to resolve quickly. And let us know what happens, too, please....