Menu

Ideas for combining K/1 and 2/3 for Bible

Bay Lake Mom

I would like to combine my girls for Bible studies.  They are still on the younger side, so many of the popular studies wouldn't probably work.  A lot recommend for grade 3+.  I also don't want to spend 30+ minutes every day on Bible.  I like to keep their lessons somewhat short or I'll lose the attention of my youngest.  I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but I'm hoping you all will have some suggestions.  I want to include some memory verse work, direct reading from the Bible as well as studying scripture a little deeper.  Videos are a plus as well.  I thought about incorporating the What's In The Bible series, but the only curriculum they have is for churches and is quite pricey.  Thoughts?

We are using Long Story Short this year and really liking it. 

http://www.christianbook.com/story-short-minute-devotions-your-family/marty-machowski/9781935273813/pd/273813?event=ESRCG

The description says it takes 10 mins a day, but with a good discussion, I think we average about 20 mins.  It suits all my kids age groups, which is a pretty tall order, I think. :)

We're beginning Bible Study Guide For All Ages this fall. It sounds like what you're looking for.

I have heard a lot of people say that Bible Study Guide for All Ages is great, but it is time consuming!  It takes at least a half hour each day.  My youngest has developmental delays, and she can't focus for very long.  There isn't any way I could make that work.  Thank you for the suggestion, though.

I have heard a lot of people say that Bible Study Guide for All Ages is great, but it is time consuming! It takes at least a half hour each day. My youngest has developmental delays, and she can't focus for very long. There isn't any way I could make that work. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

We aren't doing the coloring pages or CD. I'm hoping to spend less than 15 minutes on it. I have the teacher's guide, books of the Bible cards, and timeline which we probably won't use. I might use the timeline with your 3rd grader, but I don't see a point with little ones.

Thank you all for the Long Story Short recommendation.  I actually have this on my shelf.  I can't remember how/when I got it, but I never gave it much of a look.  I just got it down, and I really like what I'm seeing.  I guess I thought this was something else.  I love that it has 78 weeks and 5 lessons (or readings) per week.  The readings seem short but thorough.  I think this could actually get done!!    --  Thank you again!!  I think this is the answer to my problems.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the Long Story Short recommendation.  I actually have this on my shelf.  I can't remember how/when I got it, but I never gave it much of a look.  I just got it down, and I really like what I'm seeing.  I guess I thought this was something else.  I love that it has 78 weeks and 5 lessons (or readings) per week.  The readings seem short but thorough.  I think this could actually get done!!    --  Thank you again!!  I think this is the answer to my problems.

Had to chuckle.  I have totally had this happen to me as well.  I recently went to place an Amazon order and realized the cover of the book I was ordering looked very familiar...turned out I already had one. LOL

• Like 1

We use Long Story Short/ Old Story New with Grapevine Stick Figuring Through the Bible. The first dives deeper in a heart level, the latter is more about remembering the facts of the stories at this age. There are different levels of the same study. I'm doing level 1 with my 4yo and 6yo together and it works well. They love it and beg for more pages many days.