Menu

dr hive . . . . gasteroenteritis

gardenmom5

stomach flu.  (probably)  TMI -so consider yourself warned!

I got sick on sat. am.  started with pain and a dead appetite.  so, all I had was a krispy kreme - and three very large glasses of water before everything came back up 3 hrs later.  no fever, pain,  painful skin, hot and cold - but no temp, then . . I had baked potato and veggies for dinner last night - none of it was digested when it made it's reappearance. . . . .

and my urine is a very odd color - extremely pale with a brown tinge.  I'm not sure I'm drinking enough, and only switched to Gatorade today.  electrolytes are a good thing.  (dh bought a case, so I've lots to drink of that in addition to water.  I can eat, just want basic stuff.)

that has definitely helped.  I'm still feeling shaky and wiped-out. . . .showers are not supposed to be a marathon. 

the shakes are making me wonder what else I'm missing . . . any suggestions?

or do I just need to be more patient?  (i'm not a patient patient . . . . )

Brown tinged urine can be a sign of blood loss through the urine. I would go to my doc ASAP for that symptom. You could have a significant bladder or kidney infection or... (Even worse stuff). It may have just been dehydrated and appeared colored but I'd have it checked. In the meantime try to have some fluids. Not a lot at once as it may come up. But even a sip it two every minute. I hope you feel better. :(

Brown tinged urine can be a sign of blood loss through the urine. I would go to my doc ASAP for that symptom. You could have a significant bladder or kidney infection or... (Even worse stuff). It may have just been dehydrated and appeared colored but I'd have it checked. In the meantime try to have some fluids. Not a lot at once as it may come up. But even a sip it two every minute. I hope you feel better. :(

Agree you need to see a dr. with the brown-tinged urine. I once had a kidney infection with 'stomach flu' symptoms and brown-tinged urine.

thanks for the ideas.   99.99% sure I don't have a kidney infection - I've had two -incld. a year ago.  both times I was far worse, with high fever (102.7+ , very high for me).  last year, my 48 hr culture white cell count  was barely beginning to rise - and nothing showed  in my urine. at. all. despite all the other typical symptoms (which I dont' have this time.)  the dr only believed me  when  he pressed against my back and I yelled.  (I told him my back hurt over my kidney . . . . )

I can easily see dehydration (I do have other symptoms) due to the gastroenteritis, and loss of electrolytes.  also the loss of gut bacteria.

since starting gatorade I've had definite improvement in bowel - and finally hints of improvement in bladder.  though this virus might warrant getting pedialyte.  after reading  a double blind study comparing pedialyte, another rehydration drink and Gatorade for tx of gastroenteritis- apparently - Gatorade can leave people comparatively low in salt and potassium. (other areas were about the same.)  that could cause  NON-fever related shakes/tremors.  

Well we thought DH had a stomach bug last night but he's spent the last 13 hours in the hospital with no end in sight so...right now I'd say better safe than sorry. Especially if you've had kidney issues in the past.

Whatever it is, I hope you feel better soon!