Menu

Math Program with Puzzles and Coloring

YsgolYGair

I had a good conversation with my ds6, about what he'd like for his next year of schooling, and his answer for math curriculum was more puzzles and coloring, with a bit more hands on as well. He was not a great fan of MM, much as I might have liked it. :( He's the kind to not complain even if he's miserable, so in his case, it's important to me to listen to his requests and ideas.

Any ideas on what curriculum might suit him? 

This series by Mindware was recommended by CrimsonWife if I didn't remember wrongly.

E.g.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00YW4NBEM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NMPD6ZQ

http://www.amazon.com/MindWare-22068W-Subtraction-Secrets/dp/1892069725

ETA:

My kids had fun with these free puzzles in pdf

http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/files_uploaded/uploaded_resources/12212/mathspuzzlesall.pdf

Edited by Arcadia

Yep, I was going to suggest MEP.  We combined it with a few basic manipulatives: dual sided counters (pictured in the worksheets), c-rods (for doing the strip work and building problems), number tiles (for the puzzles - I put them on a larger sheet of paper).  All three are used constantly.  Coloring activities are sprinkled all through the book as well.

MEP is full of puzzles.  There are some explicit coloring exercises and some that he could color at will.

MEP is what he keeps asking for, and I do like it okay. (Certainly love the price!) Do you think that MEP is completely full without any supplementation at all? Or is there something you use along side of it?

MEP is what he keeps asking for, and I do like it okay. (Certainly love the price!) Do you think that MEP is completely full without any supplementation at all? Or is there something you use along side of it?

I love MEP!  It does take up time b/c there is the whole scripted part, but it such a good program.  It is complete and meant to be an entire math program.  However, if you like, you could always use Singapore Math challenging word problems. You could do it once or twice a week.  Many people use it a year 'behind' to shore up skills. So, you would just use MEP for now and then add in the SM when you are using year 2.

And don't miss the teacher support pages.  They are at the 'top' of every year. It has learning objective, facts to know and exercise for you to complete and master before you teach the year. I found them very useful to make sure I understood what I would be teaching,

Full disclosure: I only used MEP in the younger grades with my kids. I then transitioned to SM with my older boy, and my younger boy is using BA.  I just didn't have the time in a day to do all of MEP when it came to teaching more than one kid at home. But, everyone is different! But not sticking with MEP is a regret I have. I truly believe it is a great program.

Ack! so I'm back on the MEP pages and it just looks so good, lol.  I keep thinking...go ahead, just ask one or two of the questions in the instructor pages at the beginning of math..what could it hurt....

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 1

MEP is designed as a complete math program.   The only two topics that I found necessary to add to MEP are U.S. currency and U.S. standard measurements.  I used hands-on activities, concept books, and daily life to cover those topics.  

My children do enjoy reading about math, so they get additional exposure through their readings.  

MEP is designed as a complete math program.   The only two topics that I found necessary to add to MEP are U.S. currency and U.S. standard measurements.  I used hands-on activities, concept books, and daily life to cover those topics.  

My children do enjoy reading about math, so they get additional exposure through their readings.  

Do you feel there is enough fact practice, or do I need to add that on my own? It's my one general concern with more conceptual based programs.

Do you feel there is enough fact practice, or do I need to add that on my own? It's my one general concern with more conceptual based programs.

My oldest is currently finishing up year 5.  Looking back, there has been plenty of practice although when we were in the midst of the early years, it sometimes seemed there should be more.  I try to keep this in mind when working with my younger son.   The practice is there, but it is subtle. 

If you have a child who really likes flashcard drills or completing math worksheets, by all means supplement with these.  If he doesn't, it isn't neccessary.  For a child who likes games, playing math and logic games would be a better option.  

Edited by Sherry in OH

In terms of the currency, I just substituted the words dollars and cents for pounds etc. I kept the problems exactly the same, just used different words.  I also own some US dollar bill math manipulatives that I got at Rainbow. I just pulled those out when we needed them. MEP didn't call for fake money for the problems, but I used it anyway as a visual. I didn't worry too much about measurements. I wanted my kids to be fluent in the metric system anyway. I did do some SM instruction and word problems etc with the imperial system.

Another MEP tip that worked for us, is that I often printed out the Copymasters and had my kid work on those. They are bigger and easier on the eye.  I just printed them out in black and white and pulled them out when needed.  I would have a binder with the Practice book for my kid, and I put the printed Copymaster behind each corresponding lesson.  I had my own binder with the lesson plans,where I highlighted things if needed etc. I didn't print out the answer key, but just used it online when I needed it

And one of the more useful MEP tips I got from people here, was to really spend some time looking around the MEP site. There are things like the number cards, the shape cards, the sign cards, etc that need to be printed out and reused again and again. I used card stock for those. There are schedules that I found helpful my first couple years to make sure I was staying on track.  I also liked the exercises for teachers.

In terms of the currency, I just substituted the words dollars and cents for pounds etc. I kept the problems exactly the same, just used different words.  I also own some US dollar bill math manipulatives that I got at Rainbow. I just pulled those out when we needed them. MEP didn't call for fake money for the problems, but I used it anyway as a visual. I didn't worry too much about measurements. I wanted my kids to be fluent in the metric system anyway. I did do some SM instruction and word problems etc with the imperial system.

Another MEP tip that worked for us, is that I often printed out the Copymasters and had my kid work on those. They are bigger and easier on the eye.  I just printed them out in black and white and pulled them out when needed.  I would have a binder with the Practice book for my kid, and I put the printed Copymaster behind each corresponding lesson.  I had my own binder with the lesson plans,where I highlighted things if needed etc. I didn't print out the answer key, but just used it online when I needed it

And one of the more useful MEP tips I got from people here, was to really spend some time looking around the MEP site. There are things like the number cards, the shape cards, the sign cards, etc that need to be printed out and reused again and again. I used card stock for those. There are schedules that I found helpful my first couple years to make sure I was staying on track.  I also liked the exercises for teachers.

Yes.  Do use the materials on the site.  The scheme of work is very helpful for planning purposes.  Print the number lines and cards on cardstock.  You will use them over and over during years 1 and 2.  The transparencies are color copies of some of the puzzles.  

The copymasters include more than just enlargements of student worksheets.  Some are intended to be printed on cardstock and used multiple times.  

In addition to the materials on site, I found it helpful to printout and laminate a clock template.  I also bought a small set of c-rods to use instead of the paper strips in the lesson plans and a meter stick.  Most other manipulates and props are common items or can  be made from patterns in the lesson plans.