Menu

It's the little things that make the college parent happy, LOL!

FaithManor

We just found out that we can get middle ds back and forth to WMU on Amtrak, dropping him at a station only 35 minutes from home, for less than the cost of gas to drive. That saves either trying to find a ride, not too many kids from our area heading to WMU so that could be a problem, and the 7 hours of round trip driving.

Kind of crazy the things putting a smile on my face these days, but this was one of them! :seeya:

• Like 20

We're so bummed that dd's school doesn't have an Amtrak in town!

6 1/2 hours each way for us. 

She already met someone from our area this weekend at orientation, so we're hoping he turns out to be a very good driver who wants company, lol. 

Consider yourselves lucky.  Amtrak is a full 39 hour trip for DS and requires switching trains twice (three trains total) and two bus rides.  I can literally drive there, pick him up, spend the night, drive home and beat the train he would have been on. :auto:

We did not think about how difficult getting to the school would be.   :banghead:

• Like 1

Consider yourselves lucky. Amtrak is a full 39 hour trip for DS and requires switching trains twice (three trains total) and two bus rides. I can literally drive there, pick him up, spend the night, drive home and beat the train he would have been on. :auto:

We did not think about how difficult getting to the school would be. :banghead:

Ouch! Not helpful.

• Like 2

I'm really thankful Southwest offers cheap flights for both of my guys.  We didn't use it as a criteria in selecting schools, but if I had another student coming along, I probably would!

We had to do the "old fashioned" drive or find a ride with oldest - 12 hours one way.  It worked, but my others have it incredibly easy.  (I don't know if I want to look up Amtrak to see if that would have been a possibility at this point!)

• Like 3

That's a nice thing.  Our son is 4.5 hours away by car so it's pretty much impossible to arrange for a weekend visit home. The bus trip is 12+ hours each way, so that doesn't work either. We end up driving a day to pick him up and day to drop him off.

Kind of crazy the things putting a smile on my face these days, but this was one of them! :seeya:

My daughter's college was cross country from our home; it took two plane rides and a light rail ride for her to get to her college.  I can well appreciate your smile!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1