Menu

Need help deciding what to do for Alg. 2 online

I need something online and low cost (under $300 per year). It does not have to be rigorous just prepare him to take Alg 2 at CC the next year. I'm considering Thinkwell because there is an actual person on the screen and there are no other students interjecting during the class. Is this my best option are are there other possibilities that might fit my needs?

1. Under/Around $300

2. Actual person/face on screen

3. No other students butting in

4. Prepares student for College Level Algebra 2

Good morning!

My DD just started Table Class math (and coaching.) The actual tutorials are very reasonably priced and have been effective.

http://www.tabletclass.com/

Best wishes!

ETA: You don't see the instructor's face, however he narrates the steps. DD didn't care for the sample videos initially, but after one coaching session, she was hooked. I encourage you to check out the free trial.

Edited by Dina in Oklahoma
  • Like 1

The Virtual Homeschool Group offers free, at-your-own-pace Saxon Alg 2 classes. You can sometimes see the teacher, but mainly she writes on power point slides. There are also self grading homework assignments and tests. The teacher is very good and this is a good option if Saxon works for your child. We used the Alg 1 class for a while until WTMA opened their AOPS classes and I was amazed at how well done these courses are considering that they are funded by donations.

http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.org/course/index.php?categoryid=5

• Like 1

Thanks, but seeing the face is kind of a necessity, both DS and I have an auditory processing issue that makes audio only incomprehensible.  Both Saxon and Lial's are out.  We've owned both and they just don't work. I think I'm just going to have to go with Thinkwell and maybe find an occasional tutor locally.

• Like 2

The Virtual Homeschool Group offers free, at-your-own-pace Saxon Alg 2 classes. You can sometimes see the teacher, but mainly she writes on power point slides. There are also self grading homework assignments and tests. The teacher is very good and this is a good option if Saxon works for your child. We used the Alg 1 class for a while until WTMA opened their AOPS classes and I was amazed at how well done these courses are considering that they are funded by donations.

http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.org/course/index.php?categoryid=5

If you volunteer with VHSG or make a donation you can get into a live class which meets with a real teacher 4x per week, Mon-Thurs. Sections are flexible; if a student can't attend one section they can attend another at a different time. They do not charge for classes but if you are not a volunteer I think they want a donation because they do have server expenses. Every lesson in Saxon Alg. 2 is covered, homework and tests auto-graded, teacher assist available and students must pass hw and tests with 80% or above to move on to the next task. Teachers can reset tests to be taken again (similar questions) if a student does not make 80%. Under the direction of Tammy Moore, they have created an outstanding program.

ETA: the self-paced  courses, incl. Alg. 2 do not require any donation or volunteer obligations.

ETA2: The visual part of the class is seeing the problems worked in a large font on the interactive white board (Blackboard Collaborate). It is not just audio, although the teacher is speaking the entire time to describe what they are doing. The teacher occasionally puts a webcam on to say hello, but not often. The students and teacher all see the same work on the screen and can communicate via chat and audio.

Edited by Vida Winter
  • Like 1

Thanks, but seeing the face is kind of a necessity, both DS and I have an auditory processing issue that makes audio only incomprehensible.  Both Saxon and Lial's are out.  We've owned both and they just don't work. I think I'm just going to have to go with Thinkwell and maybe find an occasional tutor locally.

Derek Owens provides notes that say almost word for word what is on the videos.  Also he tends to repeat important points several times.  And his delivery is slowed down because he is writing.  I don't know if that helps, but I thought I'd put it out there.

• Like 1

I can't seem to find the videos.  I looked under all the tabs but must be missing something.

keep clicking through the Homework Help choose an actual lesson - you will eventually see a video icon

based on your criteria I believe Thinkwell is a good choice to consider

Edited by MarkT
  • Like 1