Menu

Anyone's dc getting really close to the end of their books??

Gamom3

We take off time for baseball season (about a month) in the summer and we take off from mid-November to the begining of January. We will also be finshing off our books in the next six weeks or so. When that happens, we take off a week or two for break and then start right up with the next year's materials. No gaps and no time to forget anything. So far it has worked for us. It makes it a tad confusing knowing what grade they are in for sports and church activities but on the whole it works out fine.

We're getting close to being done with some things too. I made Excel speadsheets (post on my blog) to see exactly where each child was. It surprised me how close to finishing some things we were! Our TOG history, however, goes to the end of the year as scheduled...but I might combine a few weeks and call it a year. :)

We're finishing up critical thinking this month. Spelling should finish up next month, and I know we are getting close to the end of CW. For us, I try to keep some subjects on a shorter year so that as spring comes along my kids gradually have more and more time to spend outside (where they want to be when the weather turns nice). Then we take a break for a few weeks when the last subject is finished.

We school year round and move on independently in each subject. My older child is usually close to finishing something. One of the things I love about homeschooling is not to have to conform to an externally imposed schedule.

I wish. I have 12 weeks of curriculum left. That said, I pace things to make them last until the end even if we are sick of all it by then. We take the entire summer off so I don't want too finish curriculum too early.

7 weeks til Spring Break, then just 6 more - we are definitely past the mid-year hump. This is the first year we are *where we are supposed to be* in the curriculum (IOW, not behind!), and that is helping to give me the gusto to keep on keepin' on.

Yup! I'm always surprised at how quickly we move through the curriculum! When that happens we always move on to the next level and start it. We've already done that in a few subjects.

We HS four days/week and take weeks off when we travel. We end on Memorial Day weekend officially. But, during the summer I make the kids do one math lesson and one grammar lesson per week or they'll forget it all! We also read and pick up a couple "fun" subjects - art, or music - for the summer.

and just go on to the next one. We do school most of the year, with just a month break in October and other shorter breaks.

If I were in your shoes, I'd relish free weeks to do the various "extras" I have on the shelf that I have trouble fitting in most of the time. Ideas include TOPS kits for science (or Nutshell Kits), Mermoria Press's Greek Mythology or Famous Men of Rome, more logic, Classical Writing, state history, geography, fun math, nature study, art, etc.