Menu

would three more papers be too much for 9th grade?

I haven't assigned as many papers to DS as I originally intended; since August, he has written one literary analysis essay, one research paper, and at least a half-dozen reader response papers (plus some other writing like lab reports).  I'd guess the page total runs to roughly 20 pages, excluding lab reports.

I would still like him to write one more literary analysis paper, one more research paper, and probably an expository essay, but we have only nine weeks left.  Is that too much to assign when I haven't been demanding this level of output previously?

I'm not using any particular writing program right now; my "method" has essentially been: read stuff, think about stuff, write about stuff.  Unfortunately the latter two pegs of that method have been given somewhat short shrift.

Three papers, three weeks each? That seems reasonable to me.  Just let him know that you are intentionally ramping it up a bit, you know, to "get ready for 10th grade."  If that's the level of output you'd like to see next year, giving him a taste of it here at the end of 9th seems completely reasonable. 

I find it so easy to fizzle out on demands for output at the end of the year! I'm trying to actively combat that this year, but it's a perennial spring challenge for me.

• Like 3

Three papers, three weeks each? That seems reasonable to me.  Just let him know that you are intentionally ramping it up a bit, you know, to "get ready for 10th grade."  If that's the level of output you'd like to see next year, giving him a taste of it here at the end of 9th seems completely reasonable. 

I find it so easy to fizzle out on demands for output at the end of the year! I'm trying to actively combat that this year, but it's a perennial spring challenge for me.

Exactly!  I'm tired. He's tired.  He'll be 15 in a couple weeks. 

I will probably end up dropping the lit paper; he needs the expository paper (in bio) to boost his grade, and he needs the research paper to boost his skill, but I'm really not sure I have the energy to fight the literary analysis fight, too.

:(  I've been in such a funk this month.  And last month.  I HAVE to dig myself out.

• Like 1

Exactly!  I'm tired. He's tired.  He'll be 15 in a couple weeks. 

I will probably end up dropping the lit paper; he needs the expository paper (in bio) to boost his grade, and he needs the research paper to boost his skill, but I'm really not sure I have the energy to fight the literary analysis fight, too.

:(  I've been in such a funk this month.  And last month.  I HAVE to dig myself out.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

9th grade was exhausting. Depending on how long the research paper will be, it sounds about what ds could have handled at the end of last year (not to mention me!!!!!!!!!!!) If you have lit analysis guilt, have him write one paragraph on one element in a story he's reading w/ 2 examples from the text. Then he'll practice the structure w/o having to do the whole essay.

• Like 1

9th grade was exhausting. Depending on how long the research paper will be, it sounds about what ds could have handled at the end of last year (not to mention me!!!!!!!!!!!) If you have lit analysis guilt, have him write one paragraph on one element in a story he's reading w/ 2 examples from the text. Then he'll practice the structure w/o having to do the whole essay.

That's a great idea, freesia, thank you! 

I'm feeling a bit less run down today; I hope it sticks.

• Like 1

What skills does he need to boost with the research paper? I've swapped out our research papers for research "projects" with visual output (poster for one, a couple of verbal presentations with powerpoint) for several areas. I was focused on the research skills (note taking, citation, bibliography) and synthesis while avoiding over-quoting. I found other formats more useful for focusing on those skills than paper writing. And when he applies those skills to a paper he's better at avoiding the temptation to cut/paste and over-quoting.

• Like 1

FWIW, I'm sharing what we did just to give you some ideas of a possible approach.

We did 1/2 credit of composition every year through high school with essay subjects focused on literature, history, humanities, etc.  rather than trying to get a whole credit of stand-alone composition done in one year.  Both of my kids ended up to be college level writers before they graduated from high school according to the college professors who evaluated their work.  Maybe all you need is another essay or two this year depending on how long they take, how well they are written and whether you have him revise his essays after you've evaluated them. IMO, the revision/edit process is the best way to become a better writer.

I figure it takes 2 to 3 hours a page to create an "A" grade edited/revised essay - that's what my professors considered normal when I was working on my masters degree in liberal studies. My kids had about 60 hours of essay writing per year plus additional time with short responses that I didn't count straight towards composition credits but counted towards the subject at hand given writing skills are expected in the production of lab reports, written responses, etc.

• Like 1