Menu

New York vaccination exemption?

AngieW in Texas

My 17yo has been accepted to her top choice school in New York, but there's a problem.

In Texas, we have a conscientious exemption from vaccination. New York doesn't have this.

My 17yo has a lot of medical issues and actually has a lot of difficulty with taking medications because she tends to have allergic reactions.

In Texas, we could just give our conscientious exemption certificate to the college and she would be okay.

For New York, that won't work.

I have looked up the requirements for college and it looks like they require MMR and meningitis.

Despite my dd's medical issues, I'm not sure a doctor would be willing to write her a medical exemption.

Any options you can give me?

She is terrified. She has horrible allergic reactions that we haven't found causes for. We haven't figured out what causes her throat to close. The allergist thinks she's probably allergic to some additives and preservatives that we don't have tests for. She is also massively allergic to prednisone (very scary reaction when it was given to her for her last bad allergic reaction). 

Allergy testing doesn't actually show allergies to anything but cinnamon.

She was tested for eosinophilic esophagitis and doesn't have it.

Get your doctor's note and present it to the university; I'm quite sure they'll accept it.

My 17yo has been accepted to her top choice school in New York, but there's a problem.

In Texas, we have a conscientious exemption from vaccination. New York doesn't have this.

My 17yo has a lot of medical issues and actually has a lot of difficulty with taking medications because she tends to have allergic reactions.

In Texas, we could just give our conscientious exemption certificate to the college and she would be okay.

For New York, that won't work.

I have looked up the requirements for college and it looks like they require MMR and meningitis.

Despite my dd's medical issues, I'm not sure a doctor would be willing to write her a medical exemption.

Any options you can give me?

She is terrified. She has horrible allergic reactions that we haven't found causes for. We haven't figured out what causes her throat to close. The allergist thinks she's probably allergic to some additives and preservatives that we don't have tests for. She is also massively allergic to prednisone (very scary reaction when it was given to her for her last bad allergic reaction). 

Allergy testing doesn't actually show allergies to anything but cinnamon.

She was tested for eosinophilic esophagitis and doesn't have it.

You can object due to religious reasons, but it's not like you can join a church that doesn't support vaccinations. They might just accept if you say that you have declined to vaccinate due to religious reasons. That might get accepted and that would be it.

But, if the institution decides to challenge then you have to prove it. You prove it by having giving a deposition stating what your religious beliefs are and how that effects your decision to decline vaccinations. And then the institution may or may not accept your reasons as deeply held religious ones.  I know someone who did it and they got a lawyer to help them etc. One thing the lawyer strongly suggested was to NOT just piece together a statement from stuff they got off the internet, the lawyers for the institution are wise to that. My friend actually did spend a lot of time thinking and writing and did get her statement accepted. She also had a long standing family religious practice to draw from and she connected that to her stance. But, her lawyer told her not to show her statement to anyone because if phrases got reused in other letters it could cause her exemption to be revoked, so I am not exactly sure what she said.

The whole medical exemption is actually harder.  You have to provide proof of the medical issue that prevents immunization (such as allergy to eggs) and that only exempts you from vaccinations that might contain albumin.  I have a couple of friends whose kids do have medical exemptions due to sever allergies and it only exempts from a couple, and they  have to have full medical documentation of the problem, etc.

ETA: I'm certainly not an expert by any means on NY and vaccinations. I just happen to know a few people who have had to deal with this. I certainly think in your daughters case you should talk to your family doctor. The university will prob defer to a medical doctor, but they will be unwilling to just make a decision on their own. They need paperwork or they don't know what to do.

Edited by redsquirrel

This wasn't college related, but my middle daughter was immunocompromised and couldn't be vaccinated at all for a while and then had to have one vaccine that's usually recommended for elderly adults before we could determine if she could get any others. (Long complicated reasons.) Allergies are part of an immunologist's specialty.  Maybe if you got an immunologist involved it's possible he may come to the conclusion that your child isn't a good candidate for vaccination and could put that in writing. 

• Like 1

I would talk to your allergist (assuming you have one).  They should be able to test your dd for reactions to the specific vaccines and then can either implement them on a particular schedule, safely in an office that is capable of treating allergic reactions, or they can determine she's too allergic and write you a note.

• Like 4

I would try for the doctor's note.  Any other way is going to probably not work.  NY is such a stickler for this stuff. 

And here is the craziest thing.  One day I was sitting in class at the CC.  The prof told a student he had a message for her.  The message was that if she didn't get some vaccination she wouldn't be allowed back into the school until she did.  As a part time student I was not required to show any proof of vaccination.  So full time...yes.  Part time...nope.  What?!  I don't get that.

• Like 1

Honestly, I would choose a different school in a different state. Period. One of my dc reacts strongly and strangely to vaccines too. She has a medical exemption for Tetanus (CPT), but that is all. The last vaccine we tried (chickenpox as an adult who had never had them) caused her to have seizures for 2 full days. It is the same reaction she had when she worked with some old blueprints. They likely have a chemical in common. Or not. She has decided, and I agree, that no job or school is worth the potential risks of her taking any more vaccines. She had to include that in her college search requirements. (And, no, medical doctors will not give a blanket immunization waiver. It is specific to the ones that reactions have been documented by a physician or a known component allergy is present.)

• Like 2

I would talk to the allergist about it.  Look up NY's rules and/or the college's requirements for an exemption, and take them with you to the appointment , so the doctor knows the criteria for an exemption, and can write a document with that in mind.  Under the circumstances, I would guess that chances are good that you can get an exemption.

If you end up not vaccinating, make sure your dd is fully aware of the common symptoms for things she is not vaccinated for, most especially meningitis, which is not uncommon on college campuses and can kill swiftly.  Freshmen living in dorms seem to be more at risk that others.  The more aware she is of the symptoms (and risk factors), the quicker she can get help should she become infected.

From the New York Health Department:

Exemptions from Immunization Requirements

Medical Exemption

If a licensed physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner, or licensed midwife caring for a pregnant student certifies in writing that the student has a health condition which is a valid contraindication to receiving a specific vaccine, then a permanent or temporary (for resolvable conditions such as pregnancy) exemption may be granted. This statement must specify those immunizations which may be detrimental and the length of time they may be detrimental. Provisions need to be made to review records of temporarily exempted persons periodically to see if contraindications still exist. In the event of an outbreak, medically exempt individuals should be protected from exposure. This may include exclusion from classes or campus.

Religious Exemption

A student may be exempt from vaccination if, in the opinion of the institution, that student or student's parent(s) or guardian of those less than 18 years old holds genuine and sincere religious beliefs which are contrary to the practice of immunization. The student requesting exemption may or may not be a member of an established religious organization. Requests for exemptions must be written and signed by the student if 18 years of age or older, or parent(s), or guardian if under the age of 18. The institution may require supporting documents. It is not required that a religious exemption statement be notarized. In the event of an outbreak, religious exempt individuals should be protected from exposure. This may include exclusion from classes or campus.

Edited by justasque
  • Like 1