Menu

Sponsoring an orphan overseas

Mom2Five

I am looking for an organization that is Christian, as I believe Christ being shared is most important. I would also love for there to be some kind of back and forth....letters, pictures etc. I would also love to sponsor a child from the Middle East.

I found one charity, but no options to sponsor in the Middle East.

Anyone familiar with anything like this?

I think sharing Christianity in the Middle East is a tricky business and in some places may put the child or family at risk from their own community.

I do understand the sentiment, I am Christian and believe in sharing my faith. I would rather share though with adults and in ways that do not put them at risk or appear to put them under an obligation to me.

I am interested in ways to reach out and offer support to individuals and families, I have started a spin-off thread.

Edited by maize

I understand that. I try (pathetically) to give to a couple charities in that area, but I would like the kids to sponsor a child their age to make it more about them and hit closer to home.

It is true that it is tricky in that area and maybe that is why I am having a hard time finding it.

• Like 1

Only an orphan? We sponsor a child in Indonesia (Muslim family background) with Compassion International. Recently, our other sponsor "child" aged out of the program in the Philippines. I had sponsored him from age 4 to 22! I feel like I really did have a relationship with him. I know that the little that I did for him is going to help his escape frompoverty and give him a solid spiritual background. I'm sure that our relationship blessed me so much more than what he received. Check it out!

• Like 3

Compassion international was the other one that I was looking at. Thank you.

Oh, and it doesn't have to be an orphan, I guess that is the word that came to mind first. I would just like to help the child most in need.

Edited by Mom2Five
  • Like 1

Seconding Compassion International. We've sponsored the same child through the organization since before we had children of our own. He is almost to graduate from their program and has grown tremendously. He writes frequently, we can write or email or send gifts as often as we like. Compassion even will arrange a visit to meet your child and their family if you'd like.

Our child is not an orphan (he lives with both parents and a younger brother) but he and his family have all benefited from Compassion's ministry.

• Like 2