Menu

online book borrowing

I've never really looked into it but there has to be a website that you can borrow books from right? I'm looking for easy reader books for my son specifically. My local libraries are small and far away as we live in a rural area so i'm thinking it might be easier to get some books in the mail.

Anyone have a site they have used?

Do you mean books delivered to you, or ebooks?

If it's ebooks, our library.

Have you checked the library website to see if they offer it? Or if they're too small, there might be a state- or province-wide one that provides the service, but the library should know about it.

If you mean books, delivered, it's still worth asking your library.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

We checkout ebooks through our library. We use the Overdrive ap. Check with your library. Even if it is far away and small, they may have access to a larger online collection. Our library subscribes to a state-wide online library and there is a very reasonable selection of both ebooks and audiobooks (actually movies and periodicals too, but I don't use those).

We are in Canada, so maybe it's different here, but we have Overdrive and Hoopla.  There might be others, but these are the two offered through our library.  The app is a free download.  I have used them a lot to check out books to see if they are ones I want to buy.  I do not enjoy reading on the iPad, so I seldom borrow a book to read that way.  Hoopla is glitchy and often will not allow you to increase the font size and the available size is like a 6...  Not fun to read.  Overdrive is much better for readability.  I love that the books just automatically return and you don't have to worry about it. 

Sounds great...it would certainly cut down on buying..but there would be so much that could go wrong...loose books, they get damaged by a child, etc...

No, you really can't lose or damage an online book. There is no physical copy, just the electronic file on your device. You can lose or damage your device, but not the book. They also return automatically, so you never have a late fee. Online book borrowing has totally rocked my world. 

We are in Canada, so maybe it's different here, but we have Overdrive and Hoopla.  There might be others, but these are the two offered through our library.  The app is a free download.  I have used them a lot to check out books to see if they are ones I want to buy.  I do not enjoy reading on the iPad, so I seldom borrow a book to read that way.  Hoopla is glitchy and often will not allow you to increase the font size and the available size is like a 6...  Not fun to read.  Overdrive is much better for readability.  I love that the books just automatically return and you don't have to worry about it. 

We are in Texas and have had Overdrive for a while. Our library just got Hoopla too but I have not figured out how to use it. Thanks for the review!

• Like 1

I did some poking around.  If what you're looking for is actual books, arriving at your doorstep:

There are many regional libraries which offer books by mail.  And that seems to be your search term: "books by mail" and then of course add your state/province, county, district, whatever.  I didn't see a country-wide one, so I don't know if those exist.  They may...