Menu

Looking for a computer based math program (4th grade)

AMDG

Can I get a recommendation for a computer-instructed math curriculum? 

I know of K12 and Teaching Textbooks. 

Math comes easily for DS, but he rushes and is careless in is work. Any program we did online, I'd definitely want a hand-to-paper component. 

What are some great options? He loves math, but is currently in public school, which has made him hate math :( . 

Ideas? 

Well, besides what  you already mentioned, there is CTC, but no mandatory paper component.  Khan Academy is the same issue, no mandatory paper component.  You would have to create your own.  Have you looked at Homeschool Buyer's Co-op?  

Actually, what are your goals for a computer based after school math program?  Reignite a love of math?  Solidify weak areas?  Help him get ahead?  Something else?  Knowing your overall goals might help people make a recommendation.

Well, besides what  you already mentioned, there is CTC, but no mandatory paper component.  Khan Academy is the same issue, no mandatory paper component.  You would have to create your own.  Have you looked at Homeschool Buyer's Co-op?  

Actually, what are your goals for a computer based after school math program?  Reignite a love of math?  Solidify weak areas?  Help him get ahead?  Something else?  Knowing your overall goals might help people make a recommendation.

I should have clarified. I am considering pulling him out of school. I want to reignite his math confidence. He was homeschooled at one point, and was FLYING through math material. He's a mechanically-minded kid, and I want to cultivate, not stifle, his natural gifts.

• Like 1

You might think of using Prodigy Math.

Not a curriculum but will serve the purpose of reigniting his math confidence as well increase his motivation to check his answers, slow down, etc.

I can almost guarantee he will enjoy it because it's game-based and really well die at that. You could use a typical math curriculum and then use Prodigy as a reward.

Any reason you want a computer-directed math curriculum?

You might think of using Prodigy Math.

Not a curriculum but will serve the purpose of reigniting his math confidence as well increase his motivation to check his answers, slow down, etc.

I can almost guarantee he will enjoy it because it's game-based and really well die at that. You could use a typical math curriculum and then use Prodigy as a reward.

Any reason you want a computer-directed math curriculum?

I'm looking at a computer-directed program because I was formerly a homeschool failure :( 

I have a special needs child, and health problems. When I was homeschooling previously, everything I did was very teacher-intensive. I burned out and was unhappy, exhausted, and stressed. 

To public school they went! It's been almost three years in school, and I'm ready to consider bringing them home again. But, the whole we "do school" needs to be overhauled if I want to keep the family running smoothly. I'd have a 1st grader who I'd need to do sit-down work with, so for my 4th I'm thinking a computer based program. 

There's other less intensive programs too. Like math U see has DVDs you watch and has workbooks. Teaching textbooks is another. Saxon and abeka have online/DVDs that go along with the text so in essence a "teacher" teaches the material and you just follow up.

Homeschooling mama of 4... Preschool 3, preschool 4, 1st, and 2nd:)

Time4learning is a computer directed program. It also has a paper component that you print out. Each lesson has an instruction module, then practice, and finally a quiz. We use it as a supplement to Singapore. I feel that it covers all the required topics. When you sign up, you are also provided access to the grade below and above which is nice if a gap is identified. The parent account gives you scores for quizes so you know if more practice is needed.