Menu

My congressman called me today to ask me what I thought about the bail-out plan

OK, this is so totally cool. This morning as we were milling about getting ready for our day my two youngest children wanted to know all about the Presidential debate. My 9yo asked what would happen if _____ became President. (intentionally left blank as it serves no purpose to name the candidate).

I decided this would be an excellent time to discuss once more our system of checks and balances and how our Consitution is designed to limit power. We have discussed the structure of our government, the three branches, etc. on many other occasions - not sure how much of that stuck though. I told them that our government is a representative government and explained who our Congressional Representatives were. I told them that I had emailed my congressman, Rep. Wittman, yesterday telling him what I thought about the bail-out plan. That amazed them because they could hardly imagine that I was able to send an email directly to someone in Congress expressing my views. Anyway, we were quite far into the discussion talking about Congress and the House of Representatives and Senators and all that good stuff when the phone rang.

My congressman (Wittman ®, 1st district) called to announce he was holding a live town hall meeting over the phone. If I wanted to ask a question all I had to do was push *3 or I could just listen to the others. Well, you should have seem my childrens' faces light up when I told them Congressman Wittman was on the phone and wanted to know what *I* thought about the bail-out plan. I told them to pick up the extensions (15yo daughter listened as well) and we all listened to him field questions about the plan. It was delightful to see them all smile when someone was announced as coming from Stafford or Fredericksburg since these places are very familiar to them.

Twice we were asked to vote on a poll by pressing 1 or 2 in response to a question. Again, my children were thrilled that Rep. Wittman wanted to know what *I* thought. They were amazed when he announced the results of the poll within a few minutes and our views were overwhelmingly along the lines of the majority.

Wow! What a great civics lesson! No doubt, that lesson will stick like no mere discussion or textbook lesson ever could.

That's really cool! Yesterday I sent emails to our Representative and both Senators, but I only got a reply from the rep. It was a form letter type email, but at least it let me know that his email system was working.

I know they're all up there beating their heads together getting this worked out. (Or am I being naive?) But there should be someone in the offices to read emails, I would think.

OK, this is so totally cool. This morning as we were milling about getting ready for our day my two youngest children wanted to know all about the Presidential debate. My 9yo asked what would happen if _____ became President. (intentionally left blank as it serves no purpose to name the candidate).

I decided this would be an excellent time to discuss once more our system of checks and balances and how our Consitution is designed to limit power. We have discussed the structure of our government, the three branches, etc. on many other occasions - not sure how much of that stuck though. I told them that our government is a representative government and explained who our Congressional Representatives were. I told them that I had emailed my congressman, Rep. Wittman, yesterday telling him what I thought about the bail-out plan. That amazed them because they could hardly imagine that I was able to send an email directly to someone in Congress expressing my views. Anyway, we were quite far into the discussion talking about Congress and the House of Representatives and Senators and all that good stuff when the phone rang.

My congressman (Wittman ®, 1st district) called to announce he was holding a live town hall meeting over the phone. If I wanted to ask a question all I had to do was push *3 or I could just listen to the others. Well, you should have seem my childrens' faces light up when I told them Congressman Wittman was on the phone and wanted to know what *I* thought about the bail-out plan. I told them to pick up the extensions (15yo daughter listened as well) and we all listened to him field questions about the plan. It was delightful to see them all smile when someone was announced as coming from Stafford or Fredericksburg since these places are very familiar to them.

Twice we were asked to vote on a poll by pressing 1 or 2 in response to a question. Again, my children were thrilled that Rep. Wittman wanted to know what *I* thought. They were amazed when he announced the results of the poll within a few minutes and our views were overwhelmingly along the lines of the majority.

Wow! What a great civics lesson! No doubt, that lesson will stick like no mere discussion or textbook lesson ever could.

I think this a great thing that your congressman did! So cool for your kids to get the leeson with such a great example.