Menu

Okay, how does this friend thing work?

I figured out how to send a friend request. For those still in the dark, find a post, click on the poster's nickname, click add the person as a contact, and you will get a screen asking if you want to ask the person to be your friend.

That's all to the good. But, if someone asks you to be her (or his) friend, and you accept, are they automatically on your friend list, or do you have to hunt around for a post of theirs first?

Also, what is the point of this friend stuff? Aren't we all friends already? Is this supposed to be fun, is that it? I miss being able to give rep -- rep was fun.

RC

I figured out how to send a friend request. For those still in the dark, find a post, click on the poster's nickname, click add the person as a contact, and you will get a screen asking if you want to ask the person to be your friend.

That's all to the good. But, if someone asks you to be her (or his) friend, and you accept, are they automatically on your friend list, or do you have to hunt around for a post of theirs first?

Also, what is the point of this friend stuff? Aren't we all friends already? Is this supposed to be fun, is that it? I miss being able to give rep -- rep was fun.

RC

If you accept their invitation, they are automatically on your list. I just wonder if anyone would actually turn down someone's request to be their friend. :confused:

RC

It is just a "fun" thing to have. It's on another board I go to and it is just one of those fun things like when rep used to be on here.

I just wonder if anyone would actually turn down someone's request to be their friend. :confused:

If it is like other boards with this feature, you would never know. They just wouldn't show up in your friends list. Unless they left you a message saying "no".

I'm glad I have one friend already (:) mrscopterdoc) but the whole thing makes me feel like I am in middle school again. (And middle school was not a happy time at all!)

:hurray:

I think it is just like GW [the other board we are on]. Some people like lots and lots and LOTS of friends while others are happy with just a few close, good friends. Exactly how it was in middle/high school. Everyone is different and that is what makes it so interesting.

I'm glad I have one friend already (:) mrscopterdoc) but the whole thing makes me feel like I am in middle school again. (And middle school was not a happy time at all!)

:iagree: When I first read about the new changes, my first thought was great, now I have been transported back to middle/high school. FWIW, it was not the best of times for me either. Twenty years later, and we are all back to wondering if we have enough friends, and are in the "in" group :ohmy:.

Krista

:iagree: When I first read about the new changes, my first thought was great, now I have been transported back to middle/high school. FWIW, it was not the best of times for me either. Twenty years later, and we are all back to wondering if we have enough friends, and are in the "in" group :ohmy:.

Krista

The rep boxes already made it that way. I would personally like the features of rep to stay, but no neg rep allowed, and no rep count. Just nice personal messages attached to a specific post that show up on your CP.

If you accept their invitation, they are automatically on your list. I just wonder if anyone would actually turn down someone's request to be their friend. :confused:

I don't know why I would want to be someone's friend if I don't remember who they are.:confused:

ITA. It seems like being on a board is more and more like being on the road. Everything's so anonymous, and people are willing to do things they would never do in person. Maybe we can form different countries instead of social groups and alliances instead of friendships. Except, who gets to hold their finger over the button? :D

Edited by sandellie4

I would not be so unkind as to refuse a friend request, and I think that would be the norm around here, being as everyone is pretty darned friendly.

I really miss having rep. I thought it was great. I liked giving it and receiving it. The only thing I didn't like about it was that a lot of times I ran out of rep-giving ability before I ran out of rep I wanted to give. It was handy and quick to give rep instead of sending a PM or posting something on a "wall", or whatever is going on now.

RC