Menu

Fun Math Resources for K-2

JessMcG

Hi! I too use Horizons math for my 2nd grader and K5'er. I've love having the Primary Math Manipulatives set from Calvert to illustrate the concepts in the Horizons lessons, and we also use some of it for games. It comes w/ Cuisinare rods, a cube unit/tens rods/hundreds boards set, lots of pattern blocks, a balance scale, pattern magnets & magnet board, colorful dominoes, etc.

Monkey Math is a fun game, I forgot where we ordered it from, but I think they have it at www.montessoriservices.com or www.forsmallhands.com. Both of those site would have lots of hands-on activities and educational games as they are geared toward montessori curriculum. Try typing in "math games" on amazon, I bet tons of neat stuff would come up. Hope that helps!

Dice games and card games are always fun, and you probably all ready have them at home. If you google math dice games and card games, you should find plenty. The possibilities for games are numerous.

A personal favorite is "Pig". You role 2 dice and add. On your turn you can roll as many times as you want and get to keep adding to your score. The hitch is, if you roll a "1", your score for that round is 0. If you roll both "1's", you lose all your points for the game. The first person to 100 is the winner.

I also got a book from the library called "Mega Fun Card Game Math". There were lots of reproducible game boards with directions.

War is always great, and you can turn it into different situations. Take 2 cards each and add, subtract, or multiply them. The larger sum, difference, or product wins. Take 2 cards each and see who can make the larger fraction.

Have fun with it!

Sonlight has 2 dvds called Mathtacular that cover concepts for prek-2, and 2-4. I believe the Holzman's son Justin does them, and if they are as funny as the Discover and Do science dvds which we have, I'm sure they are great. Horizons is one of the programs that Sonlight carries, so I'm sure that all the right topics are covered. Here's a link: http://www.sonlight.com/RM32.html .

HTH,

Kayleen