Menu

pinkmint

I'm not in low income housing - we own a nice house in a nice neighborhood. This still happens sometimes. We have some wasps behind our fireplace glass that have been there a year or two. Some carcasses in the double panes of our windows from who knows how long ago that have been bleached out by the sun.

It's just life. And replacing these items or trying to clean them out is not cheap or easy. I don't think it's filthy or says anything about a home to have a spot or two of moss, bugs, or detritus in a hard to clean place.

You could ask your landlord but it's such a minor thing I probably wouldn't bother unless I had another repair that needed doing to go along with it. It sounds gross but is it really such a big deal? I'd say no :)

Some windows, if old enough, can actually come apart. My inlaws have the kind that swivel in and out with a crank and the panes can come apart to be cleaned - they have a wooden frame. But my vinyl windows do not and I'm not spending upwards of $700 just to get a bug carcass out of a window nobody sees but me.

That's my .02. This is pretty much the epitome of a first world problem and laughably minor in terms of the care of a home. Nothing is perfect, especially if it is older, but the landlord *might* be amenable to replacing the window if you can't detach and clean it. If you can, do so. I'd say that's a task that goes with normal home maintenance and not a landlord repair.

Edited by Arctic Mama

After three years I don't think they're going to hatch.

I have a pretty great relationship with a pretty great landlord and that's the kind of thing he wants me to mention in a "since I've got you on the phone anyway" kind of way when something bigger needs attention.

Since the bathroom sink got clogged last week, every single drip and slow drain and low income rental plumbing hassle got taken care of while the plumber was here this morning. It costs him less that way and I'm not constantly DIYing and/or miserable and wanting to move.

YMMV and so may your landlord's, but maybe a pretty curtain would make you more comfortable and less likely to hope something bad would hurry up and happen to the other window. :)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

As a landlord I say, feel free to ask.  I would replace it, but there's nothing saying he has to.  If bugs are getting in, that window needs replacing.

If he doesn't, find some wallpaper for windows and cover it.  It's a film that sticks to the glass without clue.  LIke a window cling.  You can get it in frosted or decorative.  You can't see out with the frosted, but it will still let in light.  We use it in our bathrooms on the lower window.  It is not permanent.  When you move, you just take it off.  We bought our's at Home Depot 4 years ago when we remodeled.  It's still clinging just fine.

• Like 4

Living in a 100 year old house we have worse problems than that. It is finally warm enough that the cluster flies just hatched.

nuff sed

*shudder*

I deleted because I guess I'm feeling too sensitive. 

I posted about how to deal with a small mountain of trapped insect eggs in my home as a renter, not crying about being too poor to afford highlights for my hair or something. I don't understand the response of "LOL epitome of first world problems". 

Edited by pinkmint

I posted about how to deal with a small mountain of trapped insect eggs in my home as a renter, not crying about being too poor to afford highlights for my hair or something. I don't understand the response of "LOL epitome of first world problems". 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

FWIW, I thought your concern was legitimate.  :grouphug:

I was trying to give the perspective of someone in a different housing situation, responsible for an entire property, and how I would view it. Sometimes it is easy to get wrapped up in feelings about a situation or place and lose perspective - even worse if it is something we personally fear or have a hangup about. Some long dead eggs in a window is really minor and not something I'd spend money or much energy to handle even in my own kitchen. It's not like a leaky roof or fracked foundation or roaches in the wall where you could argue there is an issue with cleanliness or safety.

Gently - that you're feeling too sensitive about it affirms exactly why I addressed this as I did. It is not a big deal, not necessarily easy to fix, and doesn't automatically reflect on you as a housekeeper, your landlord's care and skills, or even the quality of the property itself. This can happen anywhere and to anyone, it's not just a low income housing woe :)

Edited by Arctic Mama