Menu

Help with phonics readers

If he's past the Elephant and Piggie (which aren't really boy, but are pretty universally appealing--all 3 kids and even DH and I liked them!--and good first readers), my kids thought Fly Guy books were pretty cool.  The plot lines of those strike me as more "boy" though my daughter liked them, too.  They divide them ridiculously into chapters, each of which is about 5 sentences spread over 3 pages.  Maybe that would be a draw to him; my older kids didn't have anyone they knew reading chapter books, so it didn't matter to them.

I'm still having issue with the leveled reader business.  I was trying to find some good books for my youngest to work on, but all the "beginning" level books seem to assume a lot of sight word knowledge rather than being truly phonics/decodable--and the licensed-character readers were particularly bad about this.  I had this problem with my older two, so I was all proactive and made a list of the good options at the library...and then we moved across the country. :-(

• Like 1

In general I've found most of the phonics early readers not very phonics friendly. For example the set of phonics readers we have for Star Wars has each book focused on a sound like short a, but really they are all on the same level for reading and need quite a few skills. They are short though. They were the first non controlled readers DS could read.