Menu

Miquon math. pdf or hard copy? extras?

Mom2Five

I was looking into Singapore, but have decided on Miquon. I was looking up past threads and saw that someone recommended purchasing the pdf so you can print for multiple kids. I like that idea, of course. Then I read that someone recommended just getting the hard copy.

Does the pdf print in black/white? It looked like the samples of the book were in color. I will probably just tear out the pages from the workbook anyway. I guess I'm wondering what the difference is between the workbook and the pdf.

What about the extra teacher books. Is there a download for those or am I basically just going to be ordering them.

I usually prefer handcopies, but I ended up with PDF miquon and it's great, I can print as needed, it's just a collection of worksheets anyway so I just print what worksheets I want that week. 

The hard copies are not in colour, to my knowledge.

• Like 1

Pdf. Super cheap, print for multiple kids, and color is a non-issue. I divide it up by thread and we jump all over anyway. Having them as loose sheets helps me think non-linearly. I don't see much benefit in the hard copy beyond the act of printing. Which is actually a pro for me. When DD3 told me she wanted some math too, I just said, "hold on a second" and it was ready. No waiting for an order.

Another benefit is that some pages can be used in multiple ways. Printing means you could make multiple copies for different purposes. It seems like this was especially true with the orange book, if I recall correctly.

Then again, I get as many consumables as possible in Pdf form, so I'm sold on the concept already. 😀

• Like 2

I have the orange book in pdf and the red book in hardcopy.  DD isn't into the red book quite yet, but I'm sorely tempted to also purchase it in pdf.  Why? 

pdf pros:

I can print single sheets. (I print single-sided, so dd is only choosing 1 sheet at a time)

I can reprint sheets (not only can some sheets be used multiple ways, but sometimes dd will "try a sheet" and find she's not ready for it---I can reprint later when she wants to try again).

I can present sheets by thread or mix them up (I present a selection from various threads a time, dd likes a variety to choose from, so I would need to cut up the hardcopy regardless).

Instant access, which means I can order a new book instantly and get started with it with little notice.

pdf cons:

It isn't in color (the hardcopy of the red book I have is), but the color doesn't actually add to the sheets (think addition sentences printed in blue or red instead of black and white).

In my case, the simple fact that the hardcopy sheets are double-sided is what is making me want to use the pdf instead.  When I lay out 6 sheets for dd to choose from, she is seeing all her options and there's no flipping or confusion or pressure to finish both sides of a sheet at the same time. 

• Like 1

I've been getting and will continue to get the hard copies. I don't assign Miquon labs at all. DS has access to the book and manipulatives so he can freely explore at will. I think the design of the sheets is perfect for that approach, but it wouldn't work so well if he didn't have access to the whole book at once without loose leaf papers. I suppose if you decide you wanted to do that you could print everything out and put in a binder if you had the pdfs already.

• Like 1

We have the hard copy of orange and red, and I love the colorful pages. I think I'll continue buying the books...we don't have a printer, which would be a pain, and idk why but colorful pages really speak to me. :P 

I absolutely needed the teacher books (Annotations and First Grade Diary). 

• Like 1

I have done hard copies. By the time you buy paper & ink, it's cheaper to buy hard copies.  The hard copies are in color, but that's not a game changer.  It's like a math teacher used colored markers to make the lab sheets.  B/W would be fine.

I like to pull the books apart and put all 6 in a binder organized by topic.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 2/27/2016 at 4:38 AM, MeaganS said:

Pdf. Super cheap, print for multiple kids, and color is a non-issue. I divide it up by thread and we jump all over anyway. Having them as loose sheets helps me think non-linearly. I don't see much benefit in the hard copy beyond the act of printing. Which is actually a pro for me. When DD3 told me she wanted some math too, I just said, "hold on a second" and it was ready. No waiting for an order.

Another benefit is that some pages can be used in multiple ways. Printing means you could make multiple copies for different purposes. It seems like this was especially true with the orange book, if I recall correctly.

Then again, I get as many consumables as possible in Pdf form, so I'm sold on the concept already. 😀

I'm very sorry to resurrect an old thread for this, but it seems that new accounts are not able to send direct messsages to users.

I would like to use Miquon but I can't justify the international shipping costs. The PDFs do not appear to be available for purchase anywhere anymore. I have emailed the seller of the physical books about this but I am not confident I'll hear back from them.

Would you (or anybody else reading this) please consider sharing your copies?