Menu

Keeping young 7th graders focused during online classes

workingmom

DS 11 is in 7th grade. Yesterday we noticed that he tends to play games and fool around while on his online classes. ITs periodic but we want to develop good study habits and there is no way to block all other websites when he's on G3/WTM Academy.

I'm taking it as a learning opportunity to perhaps focus a small unit on note taking skills. I don't want to incentivize with candy (dental issues) or more computer time. Suggestions. 

DS has said maybe he can keep paper there and doodle. One of the things I've noticed is the online teachers often say "you don't need to take notes" or bc the kids know they slides can be accessed after class they don't have this need to write major points down.

He takes two public school classes and says that style keeps him more focused bc the teacher is physically there but also they will break up into groups etc. Not happening in most online classes.

What's worked for you in developing online class skills for middle schoolers?

To be honest, when I was a homeschooled teen I did the same, and even now as an adult I do similar as well!

I need to fidget, and I find a small distraction actually helps me to focus better on whatever I'm doing. Doodling or colouring might be a better option than flicking onto other websites. I used to chat to people on the old msn messenger during my classes. 

Maybe not so helpful.... lol

At first I would have to sit next to dd. Her very first class was an AoPS text-based one-----sometimes the class would go so quickly that she would miss things when her mind wandered.

Then I sat across the table from her. I encouraged doodling on her note paper when she didn't take notes.

She's been taking online classes on her own for a couple years. She still doodles. She also clicks her pen. Repeatedly. Which makes me crazy lol but she's not having any problems with clicking away to another site while in class.

I say, let him doodle!

If it is of any comfort: 40% of my college students in my online lecture section report that their biggest problem is staying focused while they watch the lectures.

Have him take notes while watching the lecture; that keeps him occupied and prevents him from doing other stuff - you cannot play games or surf when you are writing down everything the instructor says.

The teacher's advice "you don't have to take notes" is a bad one, because printing slides does not create the same retention than writing notes by hand. The best way to use lecture notes is to print them beforehand and then fill in anything the teacher says that is not on the slides during class.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

I have DD take notes/doodle. We started this when she decided that she would rather stay in church with me than go to the children's program-at age 3. She needed to do something to keep from fidgeting and being distracting, and note taking was acceptable. At 3, her "notes" were usually pictures, but gradually became more and more related to the topic. At 11, her notes are a combination of sketches and words, and it works well. We do this for online classes, Great Courses videos, Coursera, and while reading for school. DH and I also model that behavior. One thing that really caught people's attention when she started going to conferences was that she took notes, and many college students don't.

• Like 2