Menu

Laptop needed. Any recommendations??

BatmansWife

I know nothing about laptops.  I just need a basic one that's gonna last for quite awhile.  It doesn't need a lot of bells or whistles...If it can play dvd's that would be nice, but I guess not necessary.  

I don't know if I should look for one at Walmart or order one from Amazon.  Does anyone have any recommendations??  If there are any to stay away from, I'd like to know that too.  

Thanks!

• Like 1

We adore our $160 chromebooks., but they can't play DVDs..

Love our chromebooks too. We have one asus and one HP and both are good.

Another vote for the Chromebooks here... We love ours. No DVDs, BT otherwise so fast, streamlined, and affordable.

Interesting.  I have to admit I've never even heard of these (I'm a bit behind when it comes to modern technology,  :lol: ).  Any particular links??  It doesn't have to play DVD's (just thought it would be a nice bonus).  Just something that can get on the internet would be nice.   

Does it need a disk drive?  Using TT makes it a must for us if we plan on using it for school at all.

I have been very happy with my HP, it's old, like 6 years old, and looks horrible now from being drug all over the planet, and really needs opened and blown out because it keeps wanting to overheat, but it has been used hard pretty much every day since I have had it. It still never shuts down, just gets crazy hot to the touch sometimes and warped the bottom lol.  I would buy another HP in a heartbeat.  In fact I was just looking at new ones... dreaming of winning even a small lottery so I could buy one lol.

Edited by FawnsFunnyFarm

I bought a Dell Latitude E6410 with a 250GB hard drive, Win7, and 4GB of RAM (but room for up to 8) from ebay a month ago, and I have been really, really pleased with it.  It is very fast and very easy to use, plus it plays DVDs, has an SD card slot, and hooks up to an external monitor easily.  Really great machine for the money.

Had a horrible experience with Asus customer service (took 3 months to send me a replacement power cord and it wasn't even the correct one, another 3 months to give me back my money, and was still waiting for a power cord to be found in their warehouse to be sent to me). And an awesome experience with Dell customer service rebuilding my computer after a virus. All within the past year.

In our household, a cheap/basic dell or lenovo have lasted the longest even through years of kid use.

• Like 1

I have been shopping too, and had a great recommendation from other member here for this company on ebay: this one has it all --

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Laptop-PC-Core-i5-2-4GHz-4GB-250GB-HD-DVDRW-Windows-7-Notebook-Latitude-14-/141873225950?hash=item21084da0de

My good friend builds computers and when I asked him (I'm a Dell lover here) he said go with the i5 processor not the i3 if you get a Dell Latitude. He sent me this link to the place he sends his family members to with his pick for my parameters/he hates buying off eBay because it's a crap shoot, and you don't know if they've really gone over the machines, but I know plenty of folks do it without any issues.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/451304/Latitude_E6410_Windows_7_Professional_141_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Gray

I would love to try the Chromebook, but we do a lot with our CD/DVD drive, Maybe I could use the Chromebook just for the kids school apps, websites they enjoy, and such. Hmmmm. I'm going to check those again. :)

As for me I stay away from Walmart for technology. Bad luck with them there.

Good luck!

Edited by RosieCotton
  • Like 1

Another vote for Dell.  We've had really amazing service with them.  My warranty had been up for over a year, but the customer service guy still spent over an hour on the phone with me walking me through the steps of how to wipe the computer after I got a virus on it.  Our last system was bought at Best Buy.  They are fantastic -- until you walk out the door with your shiny new purchase.  Their tech team is not very knowledgeable - at all.  I dropped my laptop off for warranty-covered repairs (it's a Lenovo) and they forgot to plug it in, decided to do some updates and drained the battery and still hadn't done the warranty work, so I had to come back to town (we are almost an hour out) another day to pick the system up.  We've had other bone-head type issues like that.  We've had that Lenovo in twice now, though it is working fine now.  We've also had an Asus laptop in the past that needed two major repairs in the first year, but is now 4+ years old and still working. 

• Like 1

"Our last system was bought at Best Buy.  They are fantastic -- until you walk out the door with your shiny new purchase.  Their tech team is not very knowledgeable - at all.  I dropped my laptop off for warranty-covered repairs (it's a Lenovo) and they forgot to plug it in, decided to do some updates and drained the battery and still hadn't done the warranty work, so I had to come back to town (we are almost an hour out) another day to pick the system up.  We've had other bone-head type issues like that. "

Same!  Same!  Same!  Same!  You must live near me :(

• Like 1