Menu

Salary History?

Jenny in Florida

I'm working on a cover letter/e-mail to respond to an online job posting.

The instructions say the e-mail "must" include salary history in order to be considered.

I have no clue what to say here. This is considered an "entry level" position, but I'm interested because it looks like it could be a good step for me for a variety of reasons. In my old, pre-kid days, I made the equivalent of what would now be a decent salary one could actually live on. However, since I went back to work a couple of years ago after 17 years homeschooling, I've been making much (much, much, much) less. 

For the last couple of years, I've been juggling three part-time jobs, because I've really wanted to retain some flexibility in scheduling until my son graduates from college. However, it's been increasingly difficult to get hours in two of those jobs, and the third is the lowest paying gig. In my ideal world, I'd find one reliable thing that offers a decent chunk of hours (20-25) on a consistent schedule every week, and I would then fill in around the edges with the other stuff. 

However, I seriously want to make some money and get myself into a situation that might possibly be the beginning of an "encore" career instead of just a job. So, I'm now starting to look at full-time possibilities.

So, how do I say to a potential employer, in a business-like way, that I'm currently making crappy money, but I used to make actual money and, even though I have a ton of experience, I am willing to take an entry-level job in order to get myself on track? Do I quote actual numbers for my pre-kid work or for my PT jobs now? Do I explain the contrast or put any of this in context? How?

I would put the wage from the last job that was a permanent position. I'm guessing that it might be easy to guess at the rate you are making for the three jobs you are currently juggling.

With a trade-off in wage, my current positions have allowed me the flexibility I wanted while raising my children. As that flexibility is no longer necessary, I look forward to pursing more permanent employment.

I would put the wage from the last job that was a permanent position. I'm guessing that it might be easy to guess at the rate you are making for the three jobs you are currently juggling.

With a trade-off in wage, my current positions have allowed me the flexibility I wanted while raising my children. As that flexibility is no longer necessary, I look forward to pursing more permanent employment.

The thing is that the last full-time job I had was before my daughter was born, so 21 years ago. Consequently, I'm not sure how relevant that is, both because I'm not applying for the same kinds of jobs and also because, taking into account 20+ years of inflation, the salary I made then isn't nearly as impressive as what someone doing the same job now would make.

The thing is that the last full-time job I had was before my daughter was born, so 21 years ago. Consequently, I'm not sure how relevant that is, both because I'm not applying for the same kinds of jobs and also because, taking into account 20+ years of inflation, the salary I made then isn't nearly as impressive as what someone doing the same job now would make.

Hmm. What did you think of my cover letter sentence? I think that "varied salary" is perfectly truthful and a great work-around. Because it's entry-level, is it just that the form is the same for non-entry level?

In your salary history, I'd just be accurate. I'd include hours worked, year(s) worked, and hourly or salary rate. I'd only include positions relevant to your resume. I.e., if you are MS level IT person, I would leave out waitressing, babysitting, whatever. Exception being if you were working in a position long enough (say over a year or two), then you would likely want to include that since it would substantiate your work ethic/etc on a recent basis if you don't have comparable career-related work.

So, something like:

1988-1994 Full Time (salaried) IT Manager For MegaMart Computers $45,000/yr (ending salary)

2010-2012 PT IT assistant GE MegaMart $15/hr (10-12 hrs/wk)

2012-2015 PT Childcare manager Big Church $12/hr  (10-20 hrs/wk)

Is there already a specific salary offered for the position, or do you think they're trying to gauge what they'll have to offer their ideal candidate based on salary history?  When we've hired, we've been specific about pay from the beginning, as the work (labor) we're paying for is worth a certain amount to us regardless of what the person may have made in a different position, but your potential employer may not have the same outlook.

I doubt anyone reads every cover letter of potential employees.  In our case we scan and maybe read the first few lines.  Something to introduce salary history might work well in your case, though - a few lines that say, basically: "Salary history is attached below.  I worked for [x] years at [x position] with [x salary].  In [x year] I started homeschooling our children and started working outside the home again in [x year].  At that time I prioritized flexibility and worked at [x part time jobs] for [x salary].  I am now ready to embark on a job path that allows development/advancement."

The briefer the better; I'm sure my sentences were way too long.