Menu

Math for the young

rwilk

DD alternates between being super focused on reading to being super focused on math.  We kinda go along with whatever she's doing.

For math, we have Mathematical Reasoning (level A...Kindergarten) by CTC, which is helping her work on the physical writing of numbers. It's doing nothing for her actual math understanding as she understands all the math, but she enjoys the pretty pictures. We also use the Bedtime Math app, and she is fairly able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide with that.  

I'd like her to start working on more formal/textbooky math so that she actually learns her math facts in an organized way. I can't figure out what level to start her at or what curriculum would work well.  She's 4, and has some fine motor issues.  Her big problem with double digit addition and subtraction is lining up the numbers and writing clearly.  She can easily do double digit addition and subtraction with an abacus. 

We were using MEP, but the writing was too small for her to manage and she hated having to repeat things she already knew. 

Thoughts? I was thinking Singapore might be a good fit because it's bright and colorful. I don't really think I want to skip levels because I want her to have a really strong math foundation in case she wants to do anything mathy in her future. 

Try using 1 centimetre graph paper for multi-digit addition and subtraction. She can write one digit per box. It keeps things really simple and clear.

For math facts I would recommend Reflex Math (computer/iPad).

If Miquon didn't work for her I would probably continue without a curriculum. Using something like Kitchen Table Math along with either Family Math or Games For Math (Peggy Kaye). I regret going with Singapore early for my ds. He hated it and it took almost a year of living math to get back his enjoyment of the subject. Keep math completely fun at those early ages. Let her see the beauty of math by exploring interesting topics and playing logic-based games.

• Like 1

We tried it, but DD had a really hard time with it visually. She found the hand drawn shapes/numbers in the lab books very hard to manage. I think visually it was a similar issue she had with MEP.

I made a lot of my own lab-sheets. It is the concepts being learned in Miquon that are of importance, not the style of the problem sheets. If your daugher has an issue with the style, you could make your own in a style that is better suited. And much of the work/play is hands on (using things like Cuisenaire Rods) in any case. Yes that would be more work, but this age is a magic moment if you can find the approach that works.

Bill

• Like 1

Another option is to choose any math program you would like, and just to scribe for her for part or all of her pages.  I scribe(d) for my kids even into grade 2, gradually moving from 100% to all but the last problem, to every other, etc.  When learning a new concept, I still scribe from time to time for my dd (1st grade, doing SM2).  

Because I was doing the scribing, the child had a numbers handwriting sheet to practice outside of math time.  

If you want a very low writing program, you can try Right Start.  

Based on what you have said, I would never classify your kid as having "fine motor issues"- she's 4!  My 4yo still can't get all the letters in her own name quite right, and I don't expect her to.  Let her move as fast as she wants in math, without the handwriting holding her back.  

• Like 5

I scribed for DD until about age 7-which for her was through basically all of elementary math. If we'd limit it to what she could write, she would have been one frustrated kid! We did take 2 years on pre-algebra largely to get the writing down before moving to algebra.

• Like 2

We used RightStart specifically because of the asynchronicity between DD's math interest/ability and her handwriting. Level A can be done informally while ignoring the few worksheets in it. Level B has more worksheets, but still relatively few (and this is the level it sounds like your child would start with) and I scribed about half of it. By level C, fortunately, DD could write well enough for the worksheets (and there still weren't many). I like the way RS taught in those early levels, and the minimal writing was a definite bonus.

• Like 2

Definitely agree with Jackie.  My 4 year-old really enjoys Right Start and asks to "do math" all the time.  It takes just a few minutes of prep work and gives a very solid foundation in numbers and mental math.  I tried to do it with my older son when he was around 6, and level B was too easy.  I wish I'd had it earlier for him, because I can see the strong foundation it's giving my little guy.  The math games are great.