Menu

Tax Shock from Gap Year

bugs

Just a vent...

My daughter took a gap year after graduating in Jun 2014, and started back at school this past September.  I "completed" our taxes on Turbo Tax as I have done every year for many moons.  Holy moly! Our owed taxes shot up because she isn't considered a dependent in 2015 - she was in school for less than 5 months and she made over $4000 (yah- but not enough to live independently). 

I guess this is kind of a PSA.

• Like 1

If you provided more than half of DDs financial support and she attended school full-time during at least 5 calendar months, you can probably claim her as a dependent.  I just ran this scenario here and recommend you do the same:

https://www.irs.gov/uac/Who-Can-I-Claim-as-a-Dependent%3F

Edited to add: Oops. I just noticed that you said "less than 5 months."  Yikes. That is disappointing. Too bad the school didn't start up in August!

Edited by Pegasus
  • Like 1

One "gotcha" is that the dependent's age is determined as of the last day of the year, so an 18 yo who turns 19 on December 31 is then subject to the income (under $4,000) or five-months-of-school requirement.  It really isn't fair.  Good reminder, OP.

OTOH, the same kid gave her parents a tax break the very next April after they were born -- whereas the child nor born until Jan 2nd didn't give their parents a break until two Aprils later -- you get the same number of total years.

• Like 4

To clarify this, if she'd been in school 5 months and a day, the income would not have mattered?

It doesn't have to be 5 months and a day, exactly.  It is a full-time student (as defined by the school, typically about 12 college credit hours) during 5 calendar months (not full months, so starting in mid-Aug and ending in mid-Dec is ok). 

The parent would also have to provide "more than half" of the student's support.  This is pretty easy if the student only made a few thousand dollars and they lived with you. If the student is bringing in tens of thousands, it would be more difficult to document!

Play around with the link provided above. It leads you through all the questions/qualifications in order to claim someone your dependent.

• Like 1