Menu

Anyone make gluten free bread in a bread maker?

1GirlTwinBoys

I do have a bread machine with a GF option. I have made some of the recipes that are included with the machine. They were so-so...they tasted good warm and fresh. But as they get cold, they turned to dust. Also, the recipes are unbelievably fussy, with the combinations of ten different flours and starches. It is a little bit ridiculous. It is probably cheaper, factored over several loaves of bread.

• Like 1

I have never felt the need for a bread machine. There is no real "kneading"/"punching down" required for GF and the proofing process is simple. The worst part of GF bread is what Quill said--the seven or so flours in one loaf of bread. Prep takes awhile. A bread machine will not help with that (alas!). Save your money and use it to buy mixes if you can afford them.  =)  I can't so I make mine from scratch.

To answer Quill's comment, yes, my homemade is cheaper than the $6 mix from the store or the Udi's frozen loaf (if not on sale). However, to keep it 'fresh" I must slice and freeze it the day I make it and then defrost individual slices as needed.  

Edited by cintinative

http://www.allergyfreealaska.com/2012/03/12/gluten-rice-free-multigrain-bread/

Some tips on keeping it cheaper:  buy the tapioca starch, millet and sorghum at the local asian market.  If you are lucky, you will find Teff at an Indian grocer. I have to order mine from Amazon now but I used to buy it at a store called Patel Brothers. Patel Brothers also sells almond flour (and rice and corn and bean flours).  Keep all whole grain flours in the freezer so they keep longer.  

This bread recipe doesn't have any rice flour which to me is a plus. It is also mostly whole grain. Pretty much everything else my son eats that is gluten-free starch wise (cookies, pasta, crackers, etc.) is made with corn or rice.  

For everyday baking like cookies, brownies, etc. I use the GF flour blend from here. It is mostly rice flour.  I buy everything but the brown rice flour at our asian market. The brown rice flour I buy from Amazon.

http://www.artofglutenfreebaking.com/2009/11/the-story-behind-my-gluten-free-flour-mix/

I have had a lot of success with her baking recipes (Art of GF Baking). 

ETA: note that Patel brothers also sells rice flour, corn and bean flours. Also "coconut powder" which I have never been sure counts as coconut flour.  They also often will have whole amaranth seeds but I don't think I have seen amaranth flour yet.  Unfortunately they do not sell tapioca starch or sweet rice flour as those are more eastern Asian.  It is a great place to buy big bags of dried garbanzo beans if you want to make your own hummus.  Use Alton Brown's crockpot recipe for cooking the beans and they will be perfect every time!

Edited by cintinative