Menu

Saxon Math 2 or 3? Placement Question....

Mimicoto

We are switching DS 8.5 to Saxon Math for a variety of reasons, the most important being that 1) he is just not as solid on the fundamentals (basic math facts, fact families etc.) as he should be, and 2) he could use some confidence-building in math before we start to tackle more advanced concepts. 

I've just completed the Saxon Math Placement Test with DS, and he is 'right' on the cusp of Saxon Math 2 and 3, and I'm looking for your thoughts....he is literally one point off of 'passing' to Math 3.  He performed the test well and confidently, and only hesitated on a couple of concepts - areas that we have not yet covered (fractions and reading a thermometer that had a scale of 2 degrees per line).

I am leaning towards beginning with Math 2 simply because it will give us an opportunity to get a strong, 'fresh start' on math while having a thorough refresher course for him on the basics.  We could easily do the chapter / review tests and only double back on concepts that need work.  I am concerned about getting him in to Math 3 and having him (and me!) feeling discouraged if it's just too much of a stretch for him...

Would it be worth keeping him at the Saxon 2 level - and accelerating him as needed, or should we head straight into Saxon Math 3?  I am fine either way - my priority is to give him a rock-solid foundation in math.

I should note he has no delays and understands math intuitively - he's been tripped up by inconsistencies and curriculum errors.

Would love your thoughts!

Edited by Mimicoto

My DS is in 1st grade at a charter that uses Saxon. He did Saxon 1 in K. This year he tested into Saxon 3, so he effectively skipped over Saxon 2. He hasn't had any trouble. I find Saxon to progress so slowly and be such a spiral - I am not really sure what he missed in that year of work, frankly. They are still doing reading temperatures and fractions (and reading clocks and doing addition/subtraction and lines of symmetry and perimeter) in Saxon 3 - and the first 10 or 20 lessons in particular feel like review. Go with your gut, of course, but I think maybe don't be afraid to give Saxon 3 a try.

• Like 1

I agree with going with Saxon 3. Everything will at least be touched on again. You won't miss anything by not doing 2. All my boys have done Saxon, and my two math intuitive boys have skipped 2 altogether with no issues.

ETA: I am a big Saxon fan. It gets knocked a lot, especially for kids who are good at math. Saxon 1-3 are very slow and gentle, and can drive those kids crazy. With my oldest, I felt the need to do everything as scripted and it kind of tortured him a bit. By the time my youngest got there, I felt free to not do everything as scripted once he understood, and this made the day much more pleasant.

Edited by JudoMom
  • Like 1

Definitely Saxon 3. If he is a good reader and knows his facts you could actually start with 5/4. That was originally the first book. Im not a big fan of the earlier grades. I love 5/4 and up though. Just in case you hate 3rd grade give 5/4 a chance.

We did K-3 and are now on 5/4. It really is much better, enough better than I question having done 3 -- except for the facts practice.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the input!  We are going ahead with Saxon 3 - he needs the facts practice, and it does look like the review will be manageable.

A quick follow-up question if anyone is still around....did you use the manipulatives kit??  I see that Sonlight / Bookshark offer a kit targeted at 'just' SM 3, so we wouldn't need to get the full K-3 kit...

Thoughts??

You need the manipulatives. You can also get just the ones for a single grade from Rainbow Resource or you can read ahead and buy what you need as you need it from ebay (usually) if you need to spread it out and don't mind paying more in the long run.

Trying to do Saxon primary without the manipulatives would defeat the whole purpose, IMNSHO.

They're fun. You'll want to repurpose them as toys when you're done.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

You can also get just the ones for a single grade from Rainbow Resource or you can read ahead and buy what you need as you need it from ebay (usually) if you need to spread it out and don't mind paying more in the long run.

Trying to do Saxon primary without the manipulatives would defeat the whole purpose, IMNSHO.

They're fun. You'll want to repurpose them as toys when you're done.

A HUGE thank you IEF !!!  I had no idea single grades were available!  I've already ordered the Grade 3 package, plus some play money from Amazon (RR was out of stock) and we are good to go.  I am soooo kicking myself for not having given Saxon a try earlier - both my kids are using it now (DD 7/6 and DS will start 3 as soon as it arrives) and it is exactly what we need right now.  :hurray: