Menu

WWYD in this situation? Online vs. Package curriculum

So, I bought my son the MFW 10th grade package.  

The stars aligned and the age of aquarius came and the moon is in its southern star...

and suddenly my son got concerned about high school...like on his own...

and wants to take all online classes as much as we can afford.  He really feels he wants more feedback and accountability.

If I push the budget to the absolute limit, I could enroll him in 3 or 4 TPS classes....

But I HAVE the MFW package sitting right here...so I could also just use the Apologia Biology books we have and enroll him in Apologia Academy.  That would mean two outside classes (totally more than 1,000.00.

So Option A:

MFW Package 

Apologia Academy for Biology Accountability and Feedback

TPS German

Writing Mentor from Patrick Henry?

Cost 1300.00 

Option B:

TPS Engish/LIterature Combined

TPS Biology

TPS German

TPS History

Cost: 3000.00 including books 

WWYD?  I like the idea of more outside accountability and I really want to honor my son's wishes, but I hate to stretch the budget, and we do have MFW sitting here.

I would first see if you can return the package you bought.  If not, I would see if I could resell it on a classified board.  If I couldn't do that, I would go with option A just because that's a lot of money spent to go to waste.  Explain this to your DS and tell him the following year, you will outsource most courses. 

So, I bought my son the MFW 10th grade package.  

The stars aligned and the age of aquarius came and the moon is in its southern star...

and suddenly my son got concerned about high school...like on his own...

and wants to take all online classes as much as we can afford.  He really feels he wants more feedback and accountability.

If I push the budget to the absolute limit, I could enroll him in 3 or 4 TPS classes....

But I HAVE the MFW package sitting right here...so I could also just use the Apologia Biology books we have and enroll him in Apologia Academy.  That would mean two outside classes (totally more than 1,000.00.

So Option A:

MFW Package 

Apologia Academy for Biology Accountability and Feedback

TPS German

Writing Mentor from Patrick Henry?

Cost 1300.00 

Option B:

TPS Engish/LIterature Combined

TPS Biology

TPS German

TPS History

Cost: 3000.00 including books 

WWYD?  I like the idea of more outside accountability and I really want to honor my son's wishes, but I hate to stretch the budget, and we do have MFW sitting here.

• Like 1

Tell him a budget amount that you feel you can manage (with or without return of MFW if that's not too late) and let him research what options there are for online or other additions/changes to the curriculum within that budget and present that information to you, according to what he thinks would be best and why to achieve his goals. There are a lot of options besides TPS etc. mentioned by you including Universities that have online class programs. I don't know if you are very limited by religious needs to only use certain providers.

• Like 5

FWIW, mine have found that three is the maximum of online classes that they can handle, and that includes asynchronous ones from PA Homeschoolers and the community college. FWIW.

Next year my 12th grader is doing one local history/lit/writing class and three online classes (math and two electives). Not willing to go into the details here, but I only pay for two of those because of business relationships I have. This year we paid for three out of four outside classes on top of the oldest being in college (thankfully with some merit aid), and it was a bit much. I actually gave her the smaller budget on this round and had her figure what her priorities were. So she made her list, we discussed it, and she's all registered.

I will teach her science, additional rhetoric-level writing, and we're doing a modern literature class based on discussion and short projects.

She needs to take an IT class, probably this summer. Unfortunately nothing local. Still thinking about that.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 2

It's always impressive when a student wants to step things up! You must be so proud of him!  I'd return or resell the MFW package and economize wherever possible to allow him to take as many classes online as he wants. (Well, actually, I guess I'd limit him to 4 if he hasn't taken any online classes before.)  

• Like 1

Ok so combining a lot of your advice:

This allows me to use most of MFW while getting him 3 online classes. I may have to return the apologia biology because he wants to take all the online classes at one place.

TPS Advanced Composition 4 (just comp)

TPS German

TPS pre AP Honors Biology

MFW- History, Literature and Bible

:) He is thrilled with this plan. And still in my budget :)

• Like 7