Menu

Recommend your favorite art supplies

I am not artsy at all and so my purchases are usually very uninspired. I can't seem to think beyond model magic, markers and some cheap watercolors. I'm trying to get a complete art cart going with nicer, quality things for the older two and some things for my 3 year old that he can actually enjoy. We do a lot of Waldorf-type lesson books but they typically only use colored pencils in those since that is mostly what we have. I would love to expand on that and I think better materials would really motivate them. What are some of your must have items? I need hand holding! I think we need quality brushes, paint, better colored pencils...I don't know what else. They love to use clay, paint and my son sketches a lot. Cost doesn't really matter (I mean it does) but I'm building this slowly over the next few months. If you are artistically inclined, what would you have loved to have ready access to as a child or what do you have now at home?

I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old, so a lot of the drawing pencils, charcoal, etc., they just aren't into yet. I don't buy many "kids" art supplies, but rather lower quality adult supplies. Some things we've liked:

PAINT - Both of these are relatively inexpensive and work ok.

Liquitex acrylics: http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/acrylic-paints-and-mediums/liquitex-acrylics-and-mediums/liquitex-basics-acrylics-and-mediums/liquitex-basics-acrylic-sets.htm

Koi watercolors: http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/watercolor-paints-and-mediums/watercolor-travel-sets/koi-watercolor-pocket-field-sketch-box-sets.htm

We do  have some "kids'" paint: RAS for kids paints & Biocolor. Biocolor actually might be great for your 3 year old: http://www6.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?category=0&keyword=biocolor&scategoryid=All+Categories

COLORED PENCILS - 

We still use the prismacolor colored pencils despite the quality drops in recent years... but I'd only ever get them on sale now. I really want to switch to something else, but I have a hard time buying polychromos or similar for such little kids.

OTHER ITEMS RECENTLY ENJOYED-

Sargent watercolor crayons: http://www.dickblick.com/products/sargent-art-water-color-crayons/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=67820-1008&gclid=CPO_vcu75MoCFUUfhgodokUBmw

Oil pastels (I'm not picky on these, even the pentel are fine) http://www.dickblick.com/products/pentel-oil-pastels/

Mungyo soft pastels (surprisingly good for the price) http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/pastels/soft-pastels/mungyo-gallery-soft-pastels-squares-and-sets/mungyo-gallery-soft-pastel-sets.htm

Edited by tm919
  • Like 1

The thick Lyra Ferby coloured pencils are beautifully pigmented and don't break. Great for 3yos. I've been so pleased with them.

Glue sticks.

Child safe scissors.

Package of coloured tissue squares... great for'stained glass' projects, etc.

Watercolours. I've been happy with Michael's house brand.

A low heat glue gun. My kids have used this for years because there's low risk of burn and it's so satisfying for them to be able to use stronger glue. Give them toilet paper rolls, cotton balls, pipe cleaners, etc... that's kept my kids going for hours, building all sorts of sculptures.

I buy packs of white printer cardstock at Staples. They love having this for their more 'thoughtful' drawings and paintings and it's really not that expensive, especially compared to watercolour or multimedia paper.

Borrow a collection of kids' art books at the library until you find one you like, with ideas that interest your kids, and get one to keep around for when you feel like doing projects. Alternatively, create a Pinterest board with ideas.

Eta: Ikea has packs of paintbrushes that work well for kids.

Edited by indigoellen@gmail.com
  • Like 1

The thick Lyra Ferby coloured pencils are beautifully pigmented and don't break. Great for 3yos. I've been so pleased with them.

Glue sticks.

Child safe scissors.

Package of coloured tissue squares... great for'stained glass' projects, etc.

Watercolours. I've been happy with Michael's house brand.

A low heat glue gun. My kids have used this for years because there's low risk of burn and it's so satisfying for them to be able to use stronger glue. Give them toilet paper rolls, cotton balls, pipe cleaners, etc... that's kept my kids going for hours, building all sorts of sculptures.

I buy packs of white printer cardstock at Staples. They love having this for their more 'thoughtful' drawings and paintings and it's really not that expensive, especially compared to watercolour or multimedia paper.

Borrow a collection of kids' art books at the library until you find one you like, with ideas that interest your kids, and get one to keep around for when you feel like doing projects. Alternatively, create a Pinterest board with ideas.

Eta: Ikea has packs of paintbrushes that work well for kids.

Where did you get a low heat glue gun? My 4yo would love that!

Lots of random sorts of paper (for everyone). Go to the scraobook section at Michaels when it's on sale and get whatever you or they like, save wrapping paper, etc. give them a blank piece of paper, scissors, and a glue stick and tell them to make

whatever they want. Mine really loved this at 3-5 years old. Cloth, aluminum foil, string, anything you can think of. I'd also get as good of a quality of paper as I could afford for painting--as in a heavy weight so It doesn't roll up when wet. And try to have as much of everything as you can. I still have pads of paper around from when I was a child because I was so afraid to use it because I wouldn't get more. I wish my parents had been able to afford to give me access to plenty of things--not to waste, but enough for freedom, as an older child. Obviously you have to set limits with kids because the three year old could probably happily go thru an entire pack of paper, making one scribble per page. But for your olders think about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Marquis-Artists-Desk-Easel-13-1/dp/B002Y6CWCM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455232658&sr=8-1&keywords=art+easel

We love our desk easels!  Everyone (except the toddler) got one last Easter along with a small sketching set and sketchbook.  They've all held up really well and my DC take them all over the house and even in the car.  

Our other supplies are pretty typical:

colored pencils

markers (love Pipsqueaks) 

crayons

watercolors (trays & pencils)

tempera paint

paint brushes in varying sizes and shapes, including the larger sponge brushes

glue (sticks, bottle, craft glue, mod podge, glue dots, rubber cement, glue gun)

paper (construction, scrapbook, origami, printer paper, cardstock, etc.)

scissors

hole punch

yarn/baker's twine/embroidery thread

felt/pom poms/pipe cleaners/googly eyes/beads/feathers/etc.

I also buy craft kits when they are on clearance for some ready-to-go projects.  

Liquid Watercolors have been far more useful than I thought they would be. And they last for ages! I especially like the Color Splash brand that Amazon carries.

Tempera paints are my daughter's favorite art supply.

For variety: charcoal pencils, watercolor crayons or watercolor pencils, glitter markers, stamps and ink pads, pastels.