Menu

CoQ10 - What brand, kind, and dose do you take?

IfIOnly

a spin off from my own thread: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/586497-anyone-knowledgeable-about-pregnenolone/

I'd love to know what you use!

I went to Costo to pick up CoQ10, and they had 5 different brands and and a few different kinds.  I just wanted to pick something up to start taking until I have the time and energy to research yet another thing. Arg. Anyone heard of Qunol? It's supposed to be more bioavailable or something. All five had good reviews at Costco's website though:

http://www.costco.com/Nature-Made%C2%AE-CoQ10-200-mg.%2c-140-Softgels.product.100118306.html

http://www.costco.com/Qunol%E2%84%A2-Mega-CoQ10-100-mg%2c-120-Softgels.product.11630572.html

http://www.costco.com/Qunol%E2%84%A2-Liquid-CoQ10-100-mg.%2c-20-Ounces.product.11678293.html

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature%E2%84%A2-CoQ10-300-mg.%2c-100-Softgels.product.100029983.html

http://www.costco.com/trunature-CoQ10-100-mg.%2c-150-Softgels.product.100088409.html

I'm leaning towards just going with the regular stuff, since it's probably what I'll be able to swing long term. 

What about dosing? How much do you take? Thank you!

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

My son's metabolic condition involves coq10. His geneticist told me to use forms sold by Epic4Health. Tischon corp, sold there, is the type used in clinical trials involving coq10 for various disorders. He indicated that I'd be wasting money to purchase otherwise. I don't know if that is true, particularly down to brand x or y, but I do know that I raised a low blood level to normal using their QGel 200 and, more recently, it lowered my blood pressure. 

They do have information on their site about the differing types and research behind them. The do sell both forms. I continue with the QGel because I've seen good results. Others may be just as good or better of course. 

The one I take, QGel, is 200 mg, as does my son. His doctor told me more might be better but there is a point of diminishing returns in health compared to the cost that kicks in. He recommended 200 mg forms if we could afford that level.

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 1

My son's geneticist told me to use forms sold by Epic4Health. Tischon corp, sold there, is the type used in clinical trials with coq10. He indicated that I'd be wasting money to purchase otherwise. I don't know, but I do know that I raised a low blood level to normal using their QGel 200.  They do have information on their site about the differing types and research behind them. I continue with the QGel because it gave those blood level results in the past and also lowered by blood pressure more recently.  The one I take is 200 mg, as does my son. His doctor told me more might be better but their is a point of diminishing returns that kicks in. He recommended 200.

Thank you!! I had no idea CoQ10 could raise blood pressure.  I have such low blood pressure and have for a decade plus. That is really great to know. I know low blood pressure is a symptom of low dhea/cortisol/adrenal output, so I wonder if the CoQ10 is helping those hormones, which is affecting blood pressure?

ETA: okay a see that you wrote lowered blood pressure. Ha!  oops.  I have the opposite problem.  :glare:

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

My son's metabolic condition involves coq10. His geneticist told me to use forms sold by Epic4Health. Tischon corp, sold there, is the type used in clinical trials involving coq10 for various disorders. He indicated that I'd be wasting money to purchase otherwise. I don't know if that is true, particularly down to brand x or y, but I do know that I raised a low blood level to normal using their QGel 200 and, more recently, it lowered my blood pressure. 

They do have information on their site about the differing types and research behind them. The do sell both forms. I continue with the QGel because I've seen good results. Others may be just as good or better of course. 

The one I take, QGel, is 200 mg, as does my son. His doctor told me more might be better but there is a point of diminishing returns in health compared to the cost that kicks in. He recommended 200 mg forms if we could afford that level.

Is this the one that you take?

http://www.epic4health.com/q20dosthyco.html#.VrU_-fkrLIU

• Like 1

I do not ever buy supplements at costco - I'm dissatisfied with the quality of the brands they carry.  I used to take their d3 - and I've switched that one to NOW.  you only want to purchase a brand that has gone through the process/hassle of certifying they contain what they say they do - that should be on their label.  (that's just the first hoop for me. . . )

I have one supplement I take that just happens to also contain CoQ10 - it is made by NOW.  I buy my supplements on amazon - I can get the brand i want, and they usually have very good prices.  Plus, they deliver.  =D.  and some of them are subscribe and save so I dont' have to remember to reorder, and I get another discount. double plus. . . .

• Like 1

I do not ever buy supplements at costco - I'm dissatisfied with the quality of the brands they carry.  I used to take their d3 - and I've switched that one to NOW.  you only want to purchase a brand that has gone through the process/hassle of certifying they contain what they say they do - that should be on their label.  (that's just the first hoop for me. . . )

I have one supplement I take that just happens to also contain CoQ10 - it is made by NOW.  I buy my supplements on amazon - I can get the brand i want, and they usually have very good prices.  Plus, they deliver.  =D.  and some of them are subscribe and save so I dont' have to remember to reorder, and I get another discount. double plus. . . .

Thank you! I usually order my supps online too! I want to start taking this supplement today though. Ha.  Several of the brand had the USP verification seal on the bottle.  

I've decided to pick up some Qunol tonight. Several of the reviewers said they tried other supplements, but this one actually gave them noticeable benefits and test results. I have absorption and conversion issues, so taking the kind that's better utilized by the body is probably the way to go. Plus, Costco is having an in store sale right now, and the Qunol is the same price as Kirkland's.

I think I'll start with 100 mg/1capsule, and try to work my way up to 2 or 3 caps.  The Mayo clinic site said 300 mg was used for fibro. and 1200mg for Alzheimer's, so I think I should be okay at working up to 300mg.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, and I will look into them.  I'd love to hear more suggestions too.

• Like 1

Kirkland actually does USP testing on their supplements from what I remember. But that brand is supposed to be good. I take a gummy version because I have trouble swallowing pills, so I am using the less absorbable form. I do take a higher dose because of that...600mg a day. I'm not sure which brand, I rotate through various gummy ones. 

• Like 1