Menu

Geometry? if you use Saxon

What do you use for geometry? I know some geometry is included in the Alg. 1 & Alg. 2 texts, but I'm not comfortable with only that. I want a full year. What do you recommend?

ETA: I need a program with either a DVD or CD-ROM teacher component. I also need a solutions manual. Thanks!

Edited by freeindeed

Math-U-See and Teaching Textbooks have DVDs. Math-U-See has a solutions manual, too, but I don't know about TT. I have heard (from this board, I think), that MUS and TT aren't very rigorous if you have a student going into a STEM field, but we like MUS, and so far don't have any STEM students, so it works for our needs.

The Algebra I and Algebra II texts don't give a student a full year of geometry; for a full year of geometry, they also need to complete half of the Advanced Mathematics book. Alternately, you can go with try fourth edition of Saxon, which has geometry broken out separately in a full isolated year. Both options have DVDs to use with the lessons.

Edited by reefgazer

So if a student does complete Saxon algebra 1, algebra 2, and advanced math, do they learn enough geometry to do well on the SAT and ACT?

Yes. Saxon does give the student a full year of geometry just like any other program. It simply spreads it out over 3 years. Personally, I like that because I think it may lead to better retention.

OP, if I wanted to add in more geometry than what Saxon already has, it wouldn't be with the Saxon geometry book. I'd use something like Jacob's for some variety and a different perspective.

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 1

Thanks, everyone. If I did decide to just continue with Saxon's recommended scope & sequence (Alg. 1, Alg. 2, Adv. Math), then how does that look on a transcript? Won't colleges be looking specifically for a geometry credit? Would I list it as Alg. 1 with Geometry and then Alg. 2 with Geometry? Thanks!

Edited by freeindeed

Thanks, everyone. If I did decide to just continue with Saxon's recommended scope & sequence (Alg. 1, Alg. 2, Adv. Math), then how does that look on a transcript? Won't colleges be looking specifically for a geometry credit? Would I list it as Alg. 1 with Geometry and then Alg. 2 with Geometry? Thanks!

I've seen people do it different ways.  I think I am going to list Algebra 1, Algebra 2 and then list Precalculus and Geometry as 2 separate courses the year we complete Advanced Mathematics since that is the year we will have completed Geometry.

• Like 1

Yes.  But you only need to do 1/2 the Advanced Math book to get the geometry you need for a full high school credit.  That 1/2 book takes the average student 1 year.

So if a student does complete Saxon algebra 1, algebra 2, and advanced math, do they learn enough geometry to do well on the SAT and ACT? 

You would still list it out as "Algebra I", "Algebra II", and "Geometry" (or "Geometry with Advanced Algebra").

http://www.homeschoolwithsaxon.com/onlinevideo.php

• Like 1