Menu

Online Literature discussion

I'm looking for an online literature discussion group.  I really rather not have writing involved - I really want my son to learn  to like literature more, but need outside accountability.  I've looked into the Center for Literature online courses and they seem really expensive for what you get.  If I'm reading it correctly, it's $200 for 6 - 2 hour discussion classes?!?!?  That seems really steep.  Right now, I am paying less than $500 for Potter's school classes that last 1 1/2 hours per week for the whole YEAR with teacher's actually grading my student's work.  

I just want him to learn to love literature but know that if I hand him a bunch of books to read, it may not get done.  I don't want to constantly keep him accountable to read.  An online Driver's Ed with no outside accountability to actually finish has about done me in and made me realize how much I don't want to nag encourage him to finish things he's supposed to do.  

Beth

Edited by bethben
  • Like 1

I'm looking for an online literature discussion group.  I really rather not have writing involved - I really want my son to learn  to like literature more, but need outside accountability.  I've looked into the Center for Literature online courses and they seem really expensive for what you get.  If I'm reading it correctly, it's $200 for 6 - 2 hour discussion classes?!?!?  That seems really steep.  Right now, I am paying less than $500 for Potter's school classes that last 1 1/2 hours per week for the whole YEAR with teacher's actually grading my student's work.  

I just want him to learn to love literature but know that if I hand him a bunch of books to read, it may not get done.  I don't want to constantly keep him accountable to read.  An online Driver's Ed with no outside accountability to actually finish has about done me in and made me realize how much I don't want to nag encourage him to finish things he's supposed to do.  

Well, if there's anything else out there, I'm :bigear:  I'll admit I just ponied up the money for the Center for Lit classes, because dd just refuses to read otherwise.  It's still a struggle even with outside accountability.  So far she's ended up listening to the first book on audio - I think she ended up liking it more than she thought she would.  Romeo and Juliet is next - she asked at first to listen to it on audio, but it's really hard to follow a play on audio!  So now we're reading it aloud together along with some silly voices.  She actually seems to be enjoying it, and getting it so far.  Quote from her: "Mom, is Romeo an Emo boy?"  after reading about him sighing heavily and locking himself in his room with the shades drawn.  Um, pretty much. :lol:

Anyway, it's probably too much for the classes, but this still seems the best way to get her to 'read' things (even with audio and reading aloud she's getting exposure to vocabulary and more complex sentence construction than in everyday conversation or TV).  So I guess it's still worth it for me, but if there's something else, I'm :bigear: because I still want to figure out something for next year - at this point the plan is Center for Lit's American Lit.  Maybe I'll even get her to read some of them...

• Like 2

Homeschool Book Study dot com. Without the optional essay grading, it is exactly what you describe. Current price is $125/semester, I think. Very much worth the price, IMHO.

Thanks, very interesting!  I'd have to consider whether the more frequent discussions would be beneficial, or annoy dd. ;)  But I like options - will have to check back and see what books are on the list for the fall semester.

• Like 1

My dd is using the Center for Lit this year, taking the British Literature discussion only (not the writing component).  It cost $340 for the year which is nearly half the price that her Greek costs for the year, so I thought that it wasn't too bad.  It works out to about $17 per hour.  

This course has been wonderful for getting my dd speaking about books and digging deeper into what she's reading.  And the freedom to simply read and discuss without having extra work has really helped to make the course enjoyable instead of a chore.  She started a university English course in Jan. and her professor is so impressed with her ability to speak in class, and her insight into what she reads.  It's not all Center for Lit, but they're a big part of getting her comfortable speaking in front of people whom she doesn't know.  I did have to push her a little at the beginning, but she's loving it so much that she wants to take a couple of courses with them next year.  So, for us, the value for the money was excellent.

Edited by Cleopatra
  • Like 4

Virtual Homeschool Group.org has a LIVE Book Club.... Just discussion, no essays or work.

I wish we had gone with that this year instead of their Intro to Lit class.

They won't open their LIVE classes up again until summer for fall 2016.

It's free, btw! Maybe someone on here is taking the book club this year and can give a review?

I agree that Center for Lit seems expensive, but it has done wonders for how my oldest thinks about books. He took a class in 9th grade and then listened a little last year to a sibling's middle school class. He asked to take another class this year through Center for Lit saying that it makes him think about everything he reads in a different way - and he likes thinking about the books.

From my perspective, it seems like a simple class. I don't require him to be an active participant--he generally just listens. However, when I talk to him about books, it amazes me the insight into themes and character studies, etc. that he can now fluently discuss with no prep.

• Like 4

The Center for Lit middle school lit class sounds really like it would help my reluctant English/writing D12.

Do they read a book a month and then do discussion over the book.

This would be for a public school child that could do it "after school".

She is currently taking WWS I "delayed class" and doing well with time management and public school work.

Thank you

Would start this class after WWS I is complete. So more than likely in the summer or fall.

Edited by VANURSEPRAC

The Center for Lit middle school lit class sounds really like it would help my reluctant English/writing D12.

Do they read a book a month and then do discussion over the book.

This would be for a public school child that could do it "after school".

She is currently taking WWS I "delayed class" and doing well with time management and public school work.

Thank you

Would start this class after WWS I is complete. So more than likely in the summer or fall.

You can register for Center for Lit classes for the entire schoolyear or just a  semester.

Yes, the student reads one book per month and then there is a two hour discussion on the book. You can download a sample from the website to hear what it is like. The class is live, but is also recorded. If you can't make the live class, it is simple to download the recorded class and listen to it--you just won't be able to participate. This is very helpful if you have scheduling conflicts or if a book is just taking longer to read than expected.

• Like 1