Menu

When to accept/decline college offers

ValRN

Is there an advantage to waiting to decline college acceptance offers until closer to the May 1st deadline?

DS has been accepted to several schools: his first, second, and third choices; some not in the top three, but worth considering; and three safeties. He’s also waiting to hear from 3 more (one of which could replace a top 3).

I think that he should start declining offers to the schools that are safeties. However, DS is hesitant to do so because he’s been offered merit scholarships at 2 and waiting to get a financial aid packet from the third. One of the schools offered him its highest scholarship, which is NOT a full-ride.  DS feels like he might be missing out on something if he declines these schools now (as opposed to waiting closer to May 1st).

Does anyone have an experience or any advice to share to help me convince my DS to decline now……………….OR to allow him to wait until late April?

One reason you might wish to have your son wait ~

My daughter appealed the financial aid offer from her favored school.  She included copies of the financial aid letters from two other schools that offered her significantly better aid.  One of the schools was about as selective as her favored school while the other one was slightly less so.  She did receive an additional one time grant for her freshman year.  We elected not to ask for additional aid in subsequent years.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

DS has only received 1 aid package from the schools in his top 3, so he cannot really request more aid yet. The two he's waiting to hear from are notorious for not giving much aid. They are very large state schools that (so I've heard) funnel its monies to the graduate students more so than the undergrad students.

In addition, I have no idea of how to guide him to appeal a financial aid decision. 

Pegasus - Thanks for your insight. I hadn't thought of his feelings until now.

I'll let DS wait until closer to May 1st.

Edited by ValRN

I had my guys decline as soon as they knew they didn't want to go there.  This means they had an accepted offer that was ok with us financially that they simply liked better.

Doing it as soon as possible helps a school figure out if they want to accept others instead, BUT I'd never do it until my guys were sure.  For us, where they went was their decision as long as it was financially do-able for us.  We did not make their decisions for them.

I had my guys decline as soon as they knew they didn't want to go there.  This means they had an accepted offer that was ok with us financially that they simply liked better.

Doing it as soon as possible helps a school figure out if they want to accept others instead, BUT I'd never do it until my guys were sure.  For us, where they went was their decision as long as it was financially do-able for us.  We did not make their decisions for them.

Thanks for the advice, Creekland. My rationale for having him decline the nonfavored schools now is because it would give someone else the opportunity to attend and receive a scholarship. However, he's just not ready. As far as the decision on where to attend goes, he makes his own as long as we can pay without him or us taking out loans.

• Like 2

I agree with Creekland about declining sooner rather than later once the student has firmly ruled out a school.  

One example from personal experience you might want to consider, depending on your situation:  my ds was accepted to 2 schools, one regional state U, one very large private U.  He planned a gap year.  He also didn't realize at first that the state U was a stronger school academically for his areas of interest,  as well as being smaller (a plus for him).  Once he figured that out, he declined the private U...then we learned that state U did not allow gap years! Only one semester.  He considered changing his choice of schools; private U had already been declined though.  We later learned they might have welcomed him back, but no need. 

I was caught off guard.  It all worked out in the end, but he learned a good lesson-ALWAYS check yourself, don't rely on mom!  And I learned not to assume anything.  

I agree with Creekland about declining sooner rather than later once the student has firmly ruled out a school.  

One example from personal experience you might want to consider, depending on your situation:  my ds was accepted to 2 schools, one regional state U, one very large private U.  He planned a gap year.  He also didn't realize at first that the state U was a stronger school academically for his areas of interest,  as well as being smaller (a plus for him).  Once he figured that out, he declined the private U...then we learned that state U did not allow gap years! Only one semester.  He considered changing his choice of schools; private U had already been declined though.  We later learned they might have welcomed him back, but no need. 

I was caught off guard.  It all worked out in the end, but he learned a good lesson-ALWAYS check yourself, don't rely on mom!  And I learned not to assume anything.  

I agree also with declining sooner rather than later, but Pegasus' post helped me to understand that DS is not yet ready to make his decision. I'm giving DS more time, so he doesn't feel rushed. DS has always wrestled with making decisions, so I think it's imperative that I give him more time.

Creekland, reading your DS's experience was enlightening. I appreciate you sharing it. I'm going to PM you.

• Like 1

I agree also with declining sooner rather than later, but Pegasus' post helped me to understand that DS is not yet ready to make his decision. I'm giving DS more time, so he doesn't feel rushed. DS has always wrestled with making decisions, so I think it's imperative that I give him more time.

Creekland, reading your DS's experience was enlightening. I appreciate you sharing it. I'm going to PM you.

Oops! This was meant for Catherine. Sorry.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, Creekland. My rationale for having him decline the nonfavored schools now is because it would give someone else the opportunity to attend and receive a scholarship. However, he's just not ready. As far as the decision on where to attend goes, he makes his own as long as we can pay without him or us taking out loans.

The people administering the scholarship make the rules about deadlines.  All you need to do is follow them.  If having a later deadline was a problem in delivering scholarships, then it's up to them to change the rules.  Since you aren't the one paying the money, you don't need to worry about how it happens.  If your ds needs more time, let him have it.