Menu

All-inclusive phonics workbook?

Wholesomemomma

I would like an inexpensive all-inclusive phonics workbook for my son to go through (1st grade, age 6.5). I was initially thinking CLE Language Arts 1, because he's already using their math... But maybe there's something similar out there that goes over ALL the phonics in 1 simple workbook? He's almost done with OPGTR and is reading well. Just want something to go over phonics quickly for reinforcement. He uses Spelling You See and it's going well so we don't need a spelling curric.

Never mind.  I just realized you wanted only one book and not a series.  I'm leaving this up, though, in case anybody else checks the thread and is interested.

Good luck in your search!

I would like an inexpensive all-inclusive phonics workbook for my son to go through (1st grade, age 6.5). I was initially thinking CLE Language Arts 1, because he's already using their math... But maybe there's something similar out there that goes over ALL the phonics in 1 simple workbook? He's almost done with OPGTR and is reading well. Just want something to go over phonics quickly for reinforcement. He uses Spelling You See and it's going well so we don't need a spelling curric.

Not sure what you mean by "all-inclusive" phonics book. :huh: Also, if you're using OPGTR, that's pretty comprehensive. For a little person who is just 6, adding something else that teaches the same thing he's already learning in OPGTR might be overkill; and something from another publisher might teach things a little differently, which could be confusing.

• Like 1

It sounds like you already have a curriculum. We've been reviewing phonics this week and what we've been doing is going through old flashcards I made and looking over the Logic of English phonogram chart and the one in our AAS book. I thought the site used to have more sounds for their phonograms, but maybe I'm mistaken. I still like to look at it since LOE adds a few (bu as in build, gu as in guide, cei as in receipt).

I created my flash cards by using multiple resources, though a lot of the sample words came from OPGTR. One program might say "ai" just says long a, while another mentions short e found in "said" and "again." I don't know if I'm doing things "properly" but I include three sounds for ar (car, dollar, marry) using the link below as a guide. One of my favorite resources is from a poster on this site. You may find these charts helpful from their website.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/Phonics%20Lsns/Resources/sound%20letter%20spell1.pdf

http://www.thephonicspage.org/Phonics%20Lsns/Resources/letter%20sound%20read%20new%202011.pdf

Edited by heartlikealion

Free to print, I like to review phonics yearly for at least two years after fluent reading, spend a week or two at the beginning of each school year.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/WellTaughtPhonicsStudent.html

I would read a few of the words from each unit and then focus on multi syllable words. If there is an error or hesitation with any unit, do the whole unit as review. The guide adds in a few word types not covered in Blend Phonics as well as explaining the syllables.

Edited by ElizabethB

Thanks, I will probably buy a copy; although I have enough resources I can use for my remedial students, I like to have resources like this to show parents and have them use them on days when I am not tutoring, it looks like a good resource.