Menu

Trip to NC and need some ideas

Hi Everyone,

I am planning a trip to NC in mid October. We are taking the kids and my mom, who has never seen a Fall in the East (she lives on the west coast). I would love some suggestions on fun places to visit along the way. Here is the route we are taking:

:auto: Charlotte, Salibury, Winston-Salem, then Hickory, and Asheville.

We are going to visit the Biltmore in Asheville. We are thinking of SciWorks in Winston-Salem. I found it on the internet and it looks good. Any tips or advise would be wonderful. Thank you :D

we love Old Salem. You can see details at oldsalem.org. It is very much a living history museum.

I haven't visited Sciworks for quite a while but in the past we have found things are not always in good repair in some of the exhibits. I do think they have an electronic dinosaur exhibit going on right now that looks nice.

Hope you enjoy your trip through NC. The Biltmore is very interesting and should be lovely surrounded with the fall colors.

Hope this helps,

Cindy H. in NC

Mom to 2 dds ( 10 and 7 )

Anyone been to the transportation Museum in Spencer,NC.

http://www.nctrans.org/

It looks like it is just outside Salisbury? I was wondering if this was worthwhile. My mom wants to see Salibury but so far cannot find anything to do there :glare: Anyone been there? It may just have to be a drive through stop along the way to Winstom-Salem.

Hickory has an awesome hands on science museum and state of the art planetarium that will keep your kids happy for hours. It's part of the SALT block (science, arts and literature together). Be sure to hit all three buildings. One has the planetarium and a huge touch tank where the sting rays will come right up to be petted. One has a special exhibits room that currently has a communications theme (my kids could not be torn away from it!) and the main, older building has an outdoor courtyard exhibit with lots to play on, a nature center, a robotics area, a downstairs that is full of activities not to miss. There is also a small art museum attached.

From Hickory, a great day trip can be taken to Blowing Rock (be sure to stop in and see the actual "Blowing Rock") and up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Beautiful mountain scenery. It's an easy 45 minute, maybe an hour drive. Lovely little town, great shopping. After you see the tourist strip, stop into the outlet mall out on 321. Very nice. About 5 minutes further up the road is Boone with Appalachian State U if you are interested. The Blue Ridge Parkway can also take you to Linville Falls...a short 30 minute hike to the most gorgeous waterfalls around! The Linville Gorge is beautiful, too.

Want furniture? Hickory and Lenoir are the furniture capital of the country, hands down. On the way up 321 towards Blowing Rock, you'll see tons of awesome outlets. Great deals...don't be afraid of the less attractive places, because they have the best prices!!

Have fun.

Anyone have any ideas for Charlotte?

We've *really* enjoyed the Museum of the Alphabet in Waxhaw about 30 miles outside of Charlotte. It's a museum of all sorts of language-related information. Sort of a mom-and-pop LOOKING place, but with really meaty exhibits. It interested our son (who was <10 at the times we've been), me, and my PhD linguist husband --- so it successfully covered a range of comprehension! It's across the street from JAARS, which is the radio and air support arm of Wycliffe (Bible translation). You can tour the facility and even take a plane ride (various requirements, etc.) and see how this part of missions work works. (This may not be of interest if you're not a Christian, but the Alphabet museum was interesting, imo, for any worldview).

Here's a link: http://www.jaars.com/alphabet_museum.shtml

Guest Virginia Dawn

Pisgah state forest should be beautiful. There is a forestry museum and a fish hatchery there. Also Carl Sandburg's house is in the area. Apple orchards too.

Chimney Rock is not far from Ashville -- a beautiful drive and a great private park. You can drive up most of the way, or half the way, plus they have an elevator to take you up to the "rock" if the walk is too much -- so if Grandma just wants to do a light stroll but also get to see the wonderful view she can. It's also where they filmed the Last of the Mohicans.

http://www.chimneyrockpark.com/

Lake Lure is 15 min. down the same road from Chimney Rock.

The Biltmore is an all day trip -- Saturdays are very busy, best to go during the week if you can. Also if you purchase your tickets late in the day, they will be good for the full next day.

http://www.biltmore.com/