Menu

Bulky winter coats and child car seats

Night Elf

Yeah, several have high numbers for weight. The weight was never the issue, though.

He was also 4ft 10in when I pulled him out. All trunk.

I do not buy into the line that a child is too tall for any harness. Is it possible? But there is a good chance that the parent has not found the right fit, or, as I encountered more than once, the parent was using that as an excuse to justify moving their too young child into a booster seat. The child was 3 years old. Not saying that is the case, but in my experience...

He was also 4ft 10in when I pulled him out. All trunk.

I do not buy into the line that a child is too tall for any harness. Is it possible? But there is a good chance that the parent has not found the right fit, or, as I encountered more than once, the parent was using that as an excuse to justify moving their too young child into a booster seat. The child was 3 years old. Not saying that is the case, but in my experience...

What do you mean by "right fit"? Do you mean best car seat? Or do you actually think that the parent is using the harness wrong? Yes, children get too tall for harnesses because that's what the user manual says once their shoulders are higher than the guides on the seat. And slots for FF need to be at or above shoulder. Only RF can be below. If you run out of slots then what? You've outgrown the seat.

I was never discussing children that young outgrowing harnesses early. I was suggesting that by the time a child is anywhere near 80 lbs they are probably my son's age (7) or older and *might* have outgrown their harness measurements for height. That's all I was ever really trying to say. I'm not talking about 3 year olds or rushing kids out of a harness if that is unclear. Our Nautilus is the one my son outgrew and it had a high weight limit. Besides, the crotch buckle location isn't ideal on some seats once the kid gets older, even in the slot furthest away.

What do you mean by "right fit"? Do you mean best car seat? Or do you actually think that the parent is using the harness wrong? Yes, children get too tall for harnesses because that's what the user manual says once their shoulders are higher than the guides on the seat. And slots for FF need to be at or above shoulder. Only RF can be below. If you run out of slots then what? You've outgrown the seat.

I was never discussing children that young outgrowing harnesses early. I was suggesting that by the time a child is anywhere near 80 lbs they are probably my son's age (7) or older and *might* have outgrown their harness measurements for height. That's all I was ever really trying to say. I'm not talking about 3 year olds or rushing kids out of a harness if that is unclear. Our Nautilus is the one my son outgrew and it had a high weight limit. Besides, the crotch buckle location isn't ideal on some seats once the kid gets older, even in the slot furthest away.

By right fit, I mean just that. A seat that fits a child's body style, there were several my son could not use because they just did not fit his body style. Was it easy? Nope. Did I need to spend the time making sure he had a seat that fit him? Yep. Would I do it again? Yes. Do I think it impossible to find a seat that fits each individual child? No. It is on the parent to find that seat that fits. Just like if I have another child I will have to do the leg work to find an infant seat that fits in my compact car. Not all will fit. Does it make things a bit more difficult? Yes. It is a part of my job as a parent? Yes.

FWIW if a child has special needs and requires a special seat insurance companies can and do pay for car seats. It is viewed as durable medical equipment.

By right fit, I mean just that. A seat that fits a child's body style, there were several my son could not use because they just did not fit his body style. Was it easy? Nope. Did I need to spend the time making sure he had a seat that fit him? Yep. Would I do it again? Yes. Do I think it impossible to find a seat that fits each individual child? No. It is on the parent to find that seat that fits. Just like if I have another child I will have to do the leg work to find an infant seat that fits in my compact car. Not all will fit. Does it make things a bit more difficult? Yes. It is a part of my job as a parent? Yes.

FWIW if a child has special needs and requires a special seat insurance companies can and do pay for car seats. It is viewed as durable medical equipment.

I see. For the record we bought my son's seat when he was very young. It was one of those seats that lasts like 7 years. We had no idea what we needed to look for when we bought it. He was little. We also lived in an area that had a Wal-mart and a couple dept. stores but no Babies R Us or Bed, Bath & Beyond so not like a lot of places to physically sit in seats. It was our first child and our first time experiencing the car seat world. Do I know more now? Sure. But even with that knowledge you don't always predict everything.

I'm done talking about this. I am getting defensive.

Not every parent has the ability to try out seats.  Around here, there are 4 seat companies in stores: Evenflo, Graco, Safety-1st/Dorel, and Britax.  Possibly a Chicco if you look hard enough.  I live in a small town that bills itself as a big city because this is where Walmart is.  Babies R Us is an hour and a half drive through nothingness.

A lot of parents end up with a Cosco Scenera ($40 -which will be outgrown by age 3 for a lot of kids) or a Graco Comfort Sport, also a short seat. They'll move on to an Evenflo booster since it's only $30, or if they get their seat replaced during a Safekids event, an Evenflo Maestro which has a tendency to have close together shoulder straps and will irritate some kids before they outgrow the harness.

Nobody advocates for the information to be readily available.  You can walk into any store and find the seat weight mins and maxes.  If you want the harness heights, crotch depths, and interior widths, you have to google. Most companies won't even have it on their websites so you have to go to a third party.  A lot of  people have no idea that information is available, and it should be on every seat box.

• Like 1

Bad me, I put my chosen car seats on my baby shower registry before my kids even came home.  I chose based on what would last until booster age, AND fit in the back seat of my car (I needed two side-by-side in a sedan, leaving butt room for a third person).  Within those parameters, I chose the lowest cost.  I understood that all the car seats available for sale had to pass the safety tests, so that was good enough for me and my kids.

I agree with the PP who said we need to make seats more affordable.  They are fairly reasonable at the low end, but the idea of paying hundreds of dollars multiple times is really not acceptable for many (if not most) American families.

Edited by SKL