Menu

Wildtree Freezer Meals

Heatherwith4

I went to one. My family only liked one of the meals. The rest were just ok. Nothing special. But we did fall in love with the bacon flavored olive oil! Yum. I felt like I'd have spent my money better buying the ingredients for yummy looking freezer meal recipes I've found online.

And definitely support your friend by buying the bacon olive oil. You will not regret it. Use it on roasted broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, well anything.

Edited by MSNative

Thank you! Do you remember which meal list you did? I know there are Crockpot ones, kid friendly ones, etc.

I went to one. My family only liked one of the meals. The rest were just ok. Nothing special. But we did fall in love with the bacon flavored olive oil! Yum. I felt like I'd have spent my money better buying the ingredients for yummy looking freezer meal recipes I've found online.

And definitely support your friend by buying the bacon olive oil. You will not regret it. Use it on roasted broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, well anything.

It was a kid friendly and supposed to be more healthy meals. I actually took a pic of the list to show you but have no idea how to post a pic. The one meal my family loved was the surf and turf skewers. Other than that there was adobo chicken, not so sloppy joes, taco stack...Does that sound like one of the meal lists you found?

Oh, and I was wrong. It's bacon flavored grape seed oil. And you must still get it! Lol!

Seriously it was fun being with my friends. It just didn't work for my family. I have three ridiculously tall and hungry boys who eat everything. Wildtree's idea of a serving size and my boys idea are very different. I know Wildtree's is the correct one. Just saying that their meal that feeds 6 is more like a meal for maybe two of my boys. So when a meal costs less that $3 a serving but is consumed by my kids it makes it more like $6-9 a serving. Ouch.

If I were to do it again, I'd order some spices and oils for one or two recipes that I thought looked best, go to the party to just hang out and maybe make bigger portions of those few recipes.

• Like 1

I have never heard of Wildtree, so I am looking it up now.

How are their spices and such different than others?  Is their Taco seasoning different?  

Do their seasonings cost significantly more?

ETA:  Ok, found a site that sells their sauces and seasonings.....yes, they are definitely significantly more.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

MSnative, thanks for the info. Apparently, this party is offering two menu options, and when I look at them closely, neither will be a good fit for my family. Maybe I'll try the grape seed oil. :)

Dawn, supposedly they are all organic and healthy, but yes, they do seem quite expensive.

• Like 1

MSnative, thanks for the info. Apparently, this party is offering two menu options, and when I look at them closely, neither will be a good fit for my family. Maybe I'll try the grape seed oil. :)

Dawn, supposedly they are all organic and healthy, but yes, they do seem quite expensive.

I still think these are about half the price at my local health food store, even organic.

I try to keep all meals for dinner around $10 to feed a family of 5.  I can still get healthy options, although I admit I don't buy organic most of the time.  

But if the sauce alone were $10 and the meat added another $8-$10, I would be up a creek with my grocery budget.

My friend does Dream Dinners and keeps wanting me to go with her.  But a meal for 4 is about $20-$25 and I just can't do it.

I have found that even though I would love a freezer full of meals, I do better with simple cooking.

For example, last night, I dumped a jar of salsa and a pound of chicken into the crockpot, dumped water and rice into the rice cooker, and pulled out tortillas, green beans (freezer from Costco), and some cheese and sour cream and had a great meal.   It took 10 min. to prep.  

BUT, I can totally see the appeal and if you are contemplating it, you should maybe try it once and see what you think.

I have a friend who was doing that for awhile. I was thinking about going to one of her parties until I saw the cost. It was $100 just for the spices and then you had to provide all the meat & veggies. I might have bought some things a la carte if I had been able to taste things first but no way I was spending that much for something that I couldn't sample first.

I have some Wildtree products ( a friend is a rep) and they're okay.  Frankly I think they're overpriced--I can usually mix up similar sauces and spice mixes on my own, but I do have a few on hand to use for fun (garlic galore, chipotle-lime). I wouldn't bother w/ the freezer meals ($$$$, I can do it for less!! and I'm a good cook who has a lot of creative confidence in the kitchen)--but I will say if you are feeling un-inspired, maybe it would jump-start your inspiration again.  You never know...sometimes just doing something "different" in the kitchen makes all the difference! I have never done a freezer meal party so I really don't know if the end result is good. 

In general, I am underwhelmed by their products. :) 

• Like 1

I have been to one and it was fun. My kids loved the meals, they were good and totally different than what I usually make. The spices/mixes were good but not fantastic enough for me to order again. It also seemed like a pain to find new recipes on their site to use up the mixes that I had left over. I think I was supposed to get an email after the party with more recipes and it never arrived. 

• Like 1

One more thought, if you do end up going, ask the meat department to cut the meat according to each recipe. I had no idea they would do this. It saved a ton of prep time for me! Apparently everyone attending the party went to the same grocery store as I did, so they knew exactly what I was going to ask for when I pulled out my prep list, ha! 

• Like 2

One more thought, if you do end up going, ask the meat department to cut the meat according to each recipe. I had no idea they would do this. It saved a ton of prep time for me! Apparently everyone attending the party went to the same grocery store as I did, so they knew exactly what I was going to ask for when I pulled out my prep list, ha!

What? Mind blown! Did they charge extra?