Menu

What makes something High School level?

Next year my son wants to take a semester of Egyptology and a semester of Astronomy as his electives for 9th grade.  I want these classes to be fun and I plan on creating them by myself: finding documentaries, books from the library, etc.  (Well, I guess: unless I find something that looks like a lot of fun that someone else has already put together.)  The thing is that since they're electives and not core classes, I don't want them to be overly heavy.  I want them to be fun and light.

At the same time, I don't want them to be babyish classes.  I want them to be at a high school level--a regular high school level, not a grueling high school level.  

But, um...what does that mean: high school level?  Does it mean he writes a certain number of papers?  Read a certain number of books at a certain reading level?  How do I know I'm giving him a high school level class and not a 7th grade level class?

Does everyone just wing it and hope they're doing it right or is there some set of standards people refer to?

ETA:  Maybe I'm overthinking this.  I didn't worry about it so much in the younger years, but high school feels different, you know?  I don't want to do wrong by my son.  I want to hit the right note--not too easy, not too hard. 

Edited by Garga_
  • Like 3

I know it's a matter of time, input level and output. But these are almost always difficult for me to gauge. So, I look for sample syllabi or courses online to use as a guide.

I usually try to find a text, some lectures or videos, and come up with some way to assess learning. Sometimes, that's discussion (no writing), sometimes, it's quizzes, tests, essays, or projects.

I've used enough boxed curriculum to have gotten a feel for a decent baseline, among other points of comparison.

Projects could include models, power point presentations, a newspaper article with pictures, a project board, diorama, any number of things. I see no reason a High schooler couldn't mummify a chicken, or do a project with hieroglyphics.

• Like 1

We are totally going to mummify that chicken.  We've talked about it for years and have never done it. The only difference for high school is that I'd have him do it entirely on his own without my help.

I can't wait to finally have that chicken mummy to use as a centerpiece for my diningroom table.  :)

Thanks for the reply.  I like your ideas.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

Similar thoughts to those of Lisa above: my initial go-to is comparing the online syllabi of several similar high school classes (and/or Intro-level college classes for unusual courses). That gives me a very general feel for types of material, and possibly volume of material, and if I'm really lucky, ideas for assignments and discussion questions… ;)

As for output, I'd base that on the type of course AND the student's passion -- if it's research papers, do that; if projects, do that. If no particular student "bent", then look closely at the materials, and decide with your student what kind of output would work best -- it might be a blend of quizzes/tests, power-power presentation, project, research paper, note taking or oral discussion of video or live lectures, etc. For DIY courses, I don't see why you can't allow the output aspect to be a bit more unique.

I don't think there is any problem with including a few books that are of middle school level -- you just want the majority of books to be of high school or above level. Compare the language and depth/complexity of books with what your student is currently doing now in 8th grade -- are the books at or above that level? Then you're probably good. Another helpful tip for a "DIY" course is counting hours toward a 1.0 credit course -- does the amount of total time (readings, lectures, output, etc.) that you are scheduling to work on this credit come out to about 135-165 hours? That's right in the "average" range, which is perfect, as it gives you "wiggle-room" in case your materials run a little short or a little long. Here's a helpful "credit hours" chart:

. . . . . . . . . . . .lite . . . average . . rigorous

1.00 credit = 120 . . . 150 . . . 180

0.75 credit =   90 . . . 110 . . . 135

0.66 credit =   80 . . . 100 . . . 120

0.50 credit =   60 . . . . 75 . . . . 90

0.33 credit =   40 . . . . 50 . . . . 60

0.25 credit =   30 . . . . 35 . . . . 45

For one semester classes, you'll want to put in 70-80 hours for an "average" 0.5 credit Elective. Overall, compare with the materials you'll be using for DS's other 9th grade courses. Electives don't need to be as rigorous as advanced math -- but neither can you just watch an hour of History channel a week (for a total of 36 hours) and call that a credit… ;)

Just for fun here are some ideas for resources for Egyptology:

- University of Berkley: Intro to Egyptology college course syllabus

- Egyptology Today (Wilkinson) -- Intro to Egyptologoy book -- 12 chapters/240 pages (very do-able for a 0.5 semester class "spine" text)

- Amazon list: 10 Indispensable Books for First Year Egyptology Students

- Coursera: Ancient Egypt -- free 6-week online college intro level course (2-3 hours/week of work)

- Discovering Egypt - 17 documentaries on Ancient Egypt

- Top Documentary: Egypt's Golden Empire -- free 2 hr. 44 min. documentary

- OpenLearn: Archaeology, the Science of Investigation -- free 12-hour instructional series, intro to Archaeology

- Annenberg Learner: Out of the Past -- Anthropology & Archeology Overview; free 8-hour instructional video series, high school and up 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 9

In addition to the excellent advice above, you also might want to consider what skills you want him to learn from these classes. Research skills? Analysis skills? Writing skills? In Astronomy, do you want him to be able to calculate light years between planets and stars?  You can build those goals into your course-- that way when the course is over, he has useful skills that can be applied to other classes.

Watch out on that chicken mummy. We have tried it many times, and it seems to take forever. When my oldest was in 1st grade at a brand-new, start-up school, I talked the 1st grade teacher into having her class mummify chickens. We left them in the classroom over Christmas break-- they did NOT mummify but instead slowly rotted, leaving a perfume of rotting chicken oozing out of the classroom. Luckily the teacher thought it was hilarious, but she did throw the pseudo-mummies out before the principal showed up. Another time my husband was able to make it work, but it sat in the oven at the lowest temp for hours to dry it out.

Have fun!

Maria

• Like 5

Every year, the courses should increase in difficulty. The end goal is that the student can be successful with courses in a university. The workload increases, every year. Going from High School to University, the workload probably doubles.  Does he have the Math background for Astronomy at this time?

Every year, the courses should increase in difficulty. The end goal is that the student can be successful with courses in a university. The workload increases, every year. Going from High School to University, the workload probably doubles.  Does he have the Math background for Astronomy at this time?

He most certainly does not have the math.  Perhaps I should call the class Introduction to Astronomy.  It's a 1/2 year elective.  I am thinking of it along the lines of a "How Movies Have Changed Society," or "How Science Influences Science Fiction" type of class.  Something light that he can do after a full day of slogging through his writing and math and science and social studies and language class, but that still has value and still requires high school level output.

He has a love of Astronomy, but not a burning STEM passion for astronomy.  His love is like a teenager version of a little kid saying, "I wanna be an astronaut when I grow up" type of love.  We'll learn all about how things form and what scientists think happened at the beginning and what all the different things are out there...but we won't slog through lots of mathematical equations. 

• Like 3

He most certainly does not have the math.  Perhaps I should call the class Introduction to Astronomy. 

Even though Alex Filippenko is a university professor, this course might be what you're looking for:

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/understanding-the-universe-an-introduction-to-astronomy-2nd-edition.html

See if your library has it, you might get lucky. There's no math (iirc, if there is some, it's by no means essential to the course). The teacher is engaging and does an excellent job explaining astronomy to non-sciency types.

For Egypt, there is also a great course by Bob Brier:

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/history-of-ancient-egypt.html

• Like 2

Even though Alex Filippenko is a university professor, this course might be what you're looking for:

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/understanding-the-universe-an-introduction-to-astronomy-2nd-edition.html

See if your library has it, you might get lucky. There's no math (iirc, if there is some, it's by no means essential to the course). The teacher is engaging and does an excellent job explaining astronomy to non-sciency types.

For Egypt, there is also a great course by Bob Brier:

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/history-of-ancient-egypt.html

My dh sent me a link to that astronomy course and I meant to research if it was any good, so thank you for the recommendation! And also for the Egypt one. I haven't started collecting resources yet and it's been wonderful that people on this post have offered suggestions of things I can use for the class. Everyone has given me a head start.

These two electives are something that my son and I are greatly looking forward to. Everything else is required work and I'll do my very best to make it engaging, but these electives are what we really want to do and we can't wait to dig in next year.

• Like 1

PS

Just in case my post above sounded "dogmatic" or rigid (lol) I just wanted to add a reassurance: Yes, Electives can be lighter than the core coursework, and can certainly follow paths of interest for the student!  :) So, for example, your Astronomy, as an Elective, does NOT have to be a traditional Science course with all the math and complex technical theories. It can be a "survey" or overview course. It can be something like "Astronomy in Film & Fiction" -- how Astronomy shows up in books and movies. Since you're building it to be an Elective, not a Science credit, you can go in whatever direction interests DS. A good way of doing that is finding a "spine" resource that comes from the direction you're interested in exploring, and build on that until you have planned about 70-80 hours of learning time for a 0.5 credit Elective. Enjoy!  :)

PPS -- 

I just looked at the table of contents for the Teaching Company's Great Course: Understanding the Universe: An Intro to Astronomy -- wow! Very diverse set of topics, and 48 hours just for lectures! That could make a great "spine", and then DS could read some books on a few individual topics of special interest, do a field trip of night sky viewing with the local Amateur Astronomy group or at the University, and enjoy a few interesting activities -- ideas:

Astronomical Society: Hands-On Astronomy Activities

NASA/MSU - Bozeman CERES Project Educational Activities

Geology.com: Astronomy and Space Lesson Plans, Classroom Activities -- list of links