Menu

Hoizons 6 or Lials BCM or ???

pocjets

Please help me with my math progression. We've been using Horizons and I do like it thus far. However, I know I'll eventually have to switch to something else. Should I stick with Horizons through Algebra and then figure out what to do? Should I do Lials BCM(6th), then Pre-Algebra(7th), then Jacob's Algrebra(8th), Geometry(9th)? Or should I use something entirely different? My husband is an engineer and I was an accountant previously so we're not afraid of math or teaching it. :)

Thank you so much for the help!

Please help me with my math progression. We've been using Horizons and I do like it thus far. However, I know I'll eventually have to switch to something else. Should I stick with Horizons through Algebra and then figure out what to do? Should I do Lials BCM(6th), then Pre-Algebra(7th), then Jacob's Algrebra(8th), Geometry(9th)? Or should I use something entirely different? My husband is an engineer and I was an accountant previously so we're not afraid of math or teaching it. :)

I can't tell you what to do, with ds 1 we went through Horizons5, then Dolciani Pre-Algebra, then Jacobs Algebra.

With dd we went through Horizon's 6 and are now doing Saxon 7/8 and planning to stick with Saxon.

I would stick with Horizons if you like it. I actually regret skipping Horizons 6 with ds--but more b/c he was young when he hit Alg 2 and it would have been good to have him older.

I didn't really like Horizons pre-Alg the month we used it, but others do like it.

My child did Horizon's through 6th grade and then Jacob's algebra.

We did Horizons 6 then Dolciani Pre-Algebra. My son was prepared well for Dolciani which is a pretty challenging course.

We had considered skipping Horizons 6 to go straight to pre-A, but lots of people advised us against it. Looking back, we are very glad we did not skip it.

• Like 1

Horizons 6 is still excellent horizons that you know and love. I do cross out a lot now that we are in book two. I also supplement with Zacarros challenge because horizons is very weak conceptually. However I have looked at pre-Alg and I am not so sure about it.

We will be looking at:

Potters school: uses Pearson digital

Math U See- has the videos and all that visual learning which my dd may enjoy

Teaching Textbooks - seems like such a great idea but looks like it might move too slowly for my dd.

My DD did Horizons 6 and then I switched her to Dolciani pre-algebra.

I wanted her to start using a traditional textbook for math.

She did fine the first couple of chapters, and then crashed and burned.

She did not transition well to the mastery style instead of the spiral review in Horizons.

I am in the process of switching her to Saxon 87.

I personally found Dolciani easy enough to teach with just the answers in the back.

Saxon drives me nuts. I am constantly telling my DD that I don't know why Saxon

does things the way it does. Occassionally I tell her to ignore the book and do things

the way she already knows because the procedure in the book makes so little sense to me.

But Saxon seems to be working better for her.

• Like 1

We also did Horizons K-6 (and Singapore) and then moved to Dolciani Pre-Algebra, Dolciani Algebra I, etc.  The transition went very smoothly for all three of my children, even my daughter who is really not into math and who tends to think she's "not good at it."

There is a solutions manual for Dolciani Pre-Algebra, but it can be difficult to find. It works out every problem. It's handy for checking problems, but I don't know if it's critical.

I had purchased Horizons Pre-Algebra, but didn't like it, especially compared to the Dolciani Pre-Algebra.

Edited by yvonne