Menu

Anyone deciding between Geometry at Wilson Hill and Aops Geometry(WTMA)?

Both live classes which we LOVE.

Not sure how to decide. We are reluctant but persistent users of AoPS. I was looking for my AoPS exit, but feel tempted by the live class. Will be doing algebra 2 concurrently at WTMA, for what that's worth...

Hard to say.  We did switch to WH for Geometry, but dd doesn't like it as much as AoPS, and we may return.  I was (and remain) hesitant about the fast pace and text-only of the AoPS classes.  If the WTMA classes had been available, we may have stuck with AoPS but switched to the WTMA classes for Geometry.  Unfortunately, WTMA isn't offering Intermediate Algebra yet, so we're still stuck with the classes direct from AoPS...

I guess it depends how much your kid likes the AoPS approach

We have been through that decision, lol. Love AoPS. But I have discovered from doing it this year for Algebra that we needed more practice. So I added some Foerster's at home and that has been a great combo. I am a little apprehensive about doing AOPS for Geometry because I have heard murmurings that it is one hard book. But, my final decision is to do the AoPS geometry at WTMA. I bought a Jurgensens text in case we need some backup.

If WTMA hadn't offered a class, we would have either gone with Wilson Hill or tried to slog through AoPS geometry and algebra II together by alternating weeks.

• Like 2

Hard to say. We did switch to WH for Geometry, but dd doesn't like it as much as AoPS, and we may return. I was (and remain) hesitant about the fast pace and text-only of the AoPS classes. If the WTMA classes had been available, we may have stuck with AoPS but switched to the WTMA classes for Geometry. Unfortunately, WTMA isn't offering Intermediate Algebra yet, so we're still stuck with the classes direct from AoPS...

I guess it depends how much your kid likes the AoPS approach.

:Iagree:

The classes at AoPS were just too fast. My understanding is that they were designed for kids in school who wanted more. Which means, they would probably be hitting math twice. Once at school, and once through AoPS. I think that is why that works. And some are just math savants :lol:

Also, the chat format didn't appeal to me.

• Like 3

:Iagree:

The classes at AoPS were just too fast. My understanding is that they were designed for kids in school who wanted more. Which means, they would probably be hitting math twice. Once at school, and once through AoPS. I think that is why that works. And some are just math savants :lol:

They are too fast and ineffective for us too, so I'm thrilled there is a choice for algebra. For geometry, I thought wilson hill was a solid option and it's not like we are enamoured of the AoPs approach ( my kid does not match the profile of the magic AoPS kid of WTM forums)

All I see is algebra 2 and geo with Saxon on their site. Did they announce somewhere else?

Yes, it's on one of the pinned threads. The Algebra 2 class is just the 2nd half of the Intro Algebra text, though... (AoPS has renamed their version of that class "Intro to Algebra B"). Perfect if that's where you're at...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

I am not happy about AoPS class format either, but my kid doesn't seem to mind it. I do think that live class will be much more enjoyable. One thing that I really like about AoPS classes is the quality of instructors. To be fair, I haven't looked to see what the background is of WTM Academy teachers, but assuming I like what I see, I am seriously considering geometry with WTM instead of AoPS class next year all because of the live format. 

Edited by Roadrunner

I am not happy about AoPS class format either, but my kid doesn't seem to mind it. I do think that live class will be much more enjoyable. One thing that I really like about AoPS classes is the quality of instructors. To be fair, I haven't looked to see what the background is of WTM Academy teachers, but assuming I like what I see, I am seriously considering geometry with WTM instead of AoPS class next year all because of the live format.

The bios of AoPS instructors are certainly impressive, and probably the best qualified I've seen in the homeschooling/online class world--we are avid consumers. But with the class format as it is, I hardly think it matters who the instructor is. It's just text. DS is extremely motivated by people, and adores Richard's videos, so it's a damn pity for us.
  • Like 1

:iagree:

This sums up the general population of the classes exactly right.

• Like 2

We have been through that decision, lol. Love AoPS. But I have discovered from doing it this year for Algebra that we needed more practice. So I added some Foerster's at home and that has been a great combo. I am a little apprehensive about doing AOPS for Geometry because I have heard murmurings that it is one hard book. But, my final decision is to do the AoPS geometry at WTMA. I bought a Jurgensens text in case we need some backup.

If WTMA hadn't offered a class, we would have either gone with Wilson Hill or tried to slog through AoPS geometry and algebra II together by alternating weeks.

This is where we are, too, Professormom.  DD will be starting the Intro to Algebra B class at the end of February. I, too, have Jurgensen on the shelf.  DD loooooves AoPS, though, and is perfectly okay with the format.  Decisions, decisions!

I would have hated that format, but my kid really likes it. The text based fast class is keeping him so engaged. He is constantly typing, solving something. I am honestly surprised that he loves it. We decided to stick with aops geometry class next year, but take algebra 2 with WTM as a review. I hope once he has experience with both formats, he can better decide what he likes.

Oh, and I wanted to comment that a lot of kids in my son's aops algebra class are super young and many homeschooled, so I wouldn't say they are hitting this twice. Of course it's possible those are the kids he interacts with. 😄

I can totally see that, especially now that aops has gained so much traction in the homeschool community. I meant that I think the hitting it twice is what it started out as and what it is designed around. So it may affect the flavor of the class :-)

I am glad he is enjoying it. It is SOOO tempting:-)

• Like 1

I can totally see that, especially now that aops has gained so much traction in the homeschool community. I meant that I think the hitting it twice is what it started out as and what it is designed around. So it may affect the flavor of the class :-)

I am glad he is enjoying it. It is SOOO tempting:-)

Very possible. They expect a kid to cover one chapter per week. It takes us a day per section, two days per summary and another two for challenges. Basically it takes us at least two weeks per chapter. Then layer Alcumus which is unpredictable. DS can finish Alcumus section in half an hour or spend an hour on one problem (like right now) and then add homework problem set. They way we survive aops pace is starting the class with a significant head start in the textbook. Otherwise we would simply fold.

Oh, and I wanted to comment that a lot of kids in my son's aops algebra class are super young and many homeschooled, so I wouldn't say they are hitting this twice. Of course it's possible those are the kids he interacts with. 😄

No, you're exactly right.  I wasn't clear above.  In DD's experience, there are two main groups.  There are the regular school kids going through the subject a second time and a second group of young, profoundly gifted students.  She's part of the minority in the middle:  a very bright but NOT profoundly gifted student using AoPS as primary curriculum.  From the posts I see here, it seems to me that this group is growing.  I hope that AoPS will continue to support this group through more video instruction and by more reliably (quickly and clearly) answering questions.

• Like 3

I will be curious to here how the aops class goes for you. I think they look great and are taught by really talented people. Keep us posted:-)

Actually, the B class will be her 4th live class with them.  Her first was Intro to Algebra A last spring.  We had covered the first 7 or 8 chapters in the fall, so the first part was review.  I really think that was critical to her surviving the adjustment to the pace.  It was hard, though.  I wound up making adjustments along the way.  She took a Math Counts class for fun over the summer and then Intro to Counting and Probability this past fall. 

DD has adjusted to the pace, but the classes are seriously challenging.  Casework last fall gave her fits.  I will say, though, the AoPS classes have been FANTABULOUSLY AWESOME at teaching work ethic.  As I said before, DD is not a savant, but she is very bright.  It really doesn't take a huge amount of effort for her to succeed at most things so far.  She is in that group of kids who frequently find adjustment to college difficult, because they are discovering challenge for the very first time and really have no coping skills.  AoPS is certainly providing the opportunity to learn them!  (And, I am proud to say, DD is rising to the challenge beautifully.  :001_wub: )

• Like 2

No, you're exactly right.  I wasn't clear above.  In DD's experience, there are two main groups.  There are the regular school kids going through the subject a second time and a second group of young, profoundly gifted students.  She's part of the minority in the middle:  a very bright but NOT profoundly gifted student using AoPS as primary curriculum.  From the posts I see here, it seems to me that this group is growing.  I hope that AoPS will continue to support this group through more video instruction and by more reliably (quickly and clearly) answering questions.

That's the kid I have. He is young (10), but he isn't gifted as far as we know and definitely not profoundly gifted. He is bright though and likes math.