Menu

Totally embarrassing question, but I don't know the answer...

Hot Lava Mama

Ds is currently in 11th grade.  So, staring this fall (2016), he will begin his senior year (he will be graduating in May 2017).  The college he wants to attend requires an application in November. Therefore, he will be filling out his college application during the beginning of his high school senior year, right (ie: November 2016)?  This is before he will have any grades for his senior year.  Do I just put blanks down for this grades?  Will his GPA be calculated on only his 9th-11th grade scores?

Also, when should I be filling out the FASFA and the common application?  Do I do it this August 2016, when the common application is available so the school has it for his application?  How about the FASFA?  

Thanks

Hot Lava Mama 

At the beginning of this year I went to a general presentation on college admissions. An admissions officer who was part of the panel said your GPA for applications purposes is just through 11th grade.

Where I live first semester at all the nearby school districts does not end until mid to late January, so even for regular applications students in those schools

Send in an transcript detailing grades and with GPA for all work completed through grade 11.  Many schools ask for a mid year report.  That is where you would include first semester grades/GPA for grade 12.  Then you send a final transcript (final grades/GPA through grade 12) to the university you have chosen after 2nd semester grade 12 is complete.

If you are submitting applications in January you would need to include first semester grades from grade 12 on the transcript if available.

Common App releases essay topics for the coming year in spring/early summer so I would look for those ahead of time and begin the application when it turns over at the end of summer.

We will be doing FAFSA in Jan, I chose to do it all at once with our tax return but I think there is a way to submit earlier and then update in Jan with final financial details.

Edited by JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst
  • Like 1

Send in an transcript detailing grades and with GPA for all work completed through grade 11.  Many schools ask for a mid year report.  That is where you would include first semester grades/GPA for grade 12.  Then you send a final transcript (final grades/GPA through grade 12) to the university you have chosen after 2nd semester grade 12 is complete.

If you are submitting applications in January you would need to include first semester grades from grade 12 on the transcript if available.

Common App releases essay topics for the coming year in spring/early summer so I would look for those ahead of time and begin the application when it turns over at the end of summer.

We will be doing FAFSA in Jan, I chose to do it all at once with our tax return but I think there is a way to submit earlier and then update in Jan with final financial details.

Starting with high school class of 2017, the FAFSA will come online in Oct of senior year.  It will now use the "last, last year" tax info (so info from 2015 for class of 2017 students) and there will be a tool to transfer data from an online tax filing into the FAFSA app.

Hopefully that will make it quicker, if not more rewarding.

• Like 1

Starting with high school class of 2017, the FAFSA will come online in Oct of senior year.  It will now use the "last, last year" tax info (so info from 2015 for class of 2017 students) and there will be a tool to transfer data from an online tax filing into the FAFSA app.

Hopefully that will make it quicker, if not more rewarding.

So for the high school class of 2016 their freshman and sophomore year financial aid information will come from the same set of tax data?  Have they built in something that would reflect having made a year of tuition and fee payments?

So for the high school class of 2016 their freshman and sophomore year financial aid information will come from the same set of tax data?  Have they built in something that would reflect having made a year of tuition and fee payments?

The assets portion of the FAFSA doesn't come from the tax return.  I imagine the income section only would come from 2015 and the assets questions will ask about current assets (around the date of filing).  Unless one is really lucky, I imagine they will be lower than on the previous FAFSA.

• Like 1

Ds is currently in 11th grade.  So, staring this fall (2016), he will begin his senior year (he will be graduating in May 2017).  The college he wants to attend requires an application in November. Therefore, he will be filling out his college application during the beginning of his high school senior year, right (ie: November 2016)?  This is before he will have any grades for his senior year.  Do I just put blanks down for this grades?  Will his GPA be calculated on only his 9th-11th grade scores?

Also, when should I be filling out the FASFA and the common application?  Do I do it this August 2016, when the common application is available so the school has it for his application?  How about the FASFA?  

Thanks

Hot Lava Mama 

His GPA will be calculated based on 9th to 11th grade. The college will expect the GPA to remain relatively stable through 12th grade and will require a final transcript and possibly a mid-term transcript. 

In addition to the 9th to 11th grade courses, the transcript should include the courses that your son would be taking and the courses that he plans to complete in his senior. The college needs this information to determine whether you son will have all of the high school requirements needed for admissions.  The way I did this was to show the Sr. year plan in the same format as I showed 9th through 11th grade but without grades and points. The summary page listed the current and planned courses and the course description section of the transcript ncluded full descriptions/grading criteria for the senior year courses.  If somethings changes in your plan during his Sr. year, just update the transcript with the changes when you send the final transcript.