Menu

Transcripts when dual enrolled at p.s. high school

If your student is dual enrolled between home and the local public highschool, when the school sends the transcript to colleges, do they send only the classes taken at the school or do they include the homeschool record which was supplied to the public high school?

(Also posting on college board)

Ours sends only a transcript of the classes taken at the high school. We are not students at the high school, but homeschoolers and the final (complete) transcript must be supplied by the parent. Neither will they supply a GPA, class rank, or forward ACT/SAT results.

• Like 1

Thanks Melissa,

I just wondered because the high school is asking we supply them with our homeschool transcript and we have a very short time to do this. I really prefer it be an unofficial transcript in case we are forgetting something, doing it in such a rush.

I'm concerned that I might remember something later, and they send one to a college that's inconsistent with my amended one.

Our kids have taken electives at our local public high school so we have used transcripts from them but it only includes the schools' classes. The school has no idea what the homeschool classes are like (even if you gave them your homeschool transcript) so they wouldn't endorse them. My oldest daughters' colleges must've cringed at all the transcripts they received for her...homeschool, public school, and boarding school!

• Like 1

I wonder if the answer depends on whether the student is applying mainly as a PS student or a homeschooler? In the PS standpoint, the PS will do the counselor letter & all of the counselor portions of the common app (for example). In the Homeschooled standpoint, the parent would do the counselor portion of the Common App and the PS transcript would just be one part of the overall application. 

So, if the PS is handling the application, I would assume the homeschool's transcript should be one part of the application. Either way, I'd get on the transcript right away. Good luck!

• Like 1

I wonder if the answer depends on whether the student is applying mainly as a PS student or a homeschooler? In the PS standpoint, the PS will do the counselor letter & all of the counselor portions of the common app (for example). In the Homeschooled standpoint, the parent would do the counselor portion of the Common App and the PS transcript would just be one part of the overall application.

This. Personally, I would keep control (apply as a homeschooler,) unless you are depending on them to issue the diploma instead of you.

Edited by angela in ohio
  • Like 1

Some questions can only be answered by the high school. Have you asked them if this is just for placement or if it's going to be included with documentation for college apps?

Are your kids returning to public school full time? If that is the case I would work to create a solid transcript and course descriptions for them to use going forward.

If your kids are going to the ps part time and you are doing their final transcript and counselor info then you have a little more time to fine tune things.

• Like 1

BTW, typically when people use the term dual enrollment, they mean that a student is taking classes at a college and earning both college credit and high school credit.  (The name for this program at the college may vary.  I've seen Early Admission, High School Special and Running Start in addition to dual enrollment.)

When a student is homeschooled and taking some classes at the local public school or private school, often people will use the term partial enrollment or part time enrollment.

• Like 2

Thanks Melissa,

I just wondered because the high school is asking we supply them with our homeschool transcript and we have a very short time to do this. I really prefer it be an unofficial transcript in case we are forgetting something, doing it in such a rush.

I'm concerned that I might remember something later, and they send one to a college that's inconsistent with my amended one.

It sounds as if the school considers your child a public school student and not a homeschooled student.

Are you also complying with your state's homeschool law (if any)? If so, then you shouldn't have to provide grades to the school for credits earned at home. If not, then it seems to me you'd sort of be obligated to provide those grades to the school. I think it's admirable that the school is willing to add credits earned at home to the school's transcript.

Not sure what you mean by "unofficial" transcript. Did you want to make your own transcript (which would be official, BTW) and add the school's grades to it? So that the school would send a transcript and you would also send a transcript?