Menu

Alaskan Cruise

OnMyOwn

My family is extremely fortunate in that my in laws want to take us on a cruise to Alaska this year. I have always wanted to do this!

But, MIL has asked me to research it and tell her what trip, cruise line,etc.

So, any suggestions? I have 2 teens. I was looking at Norwegian, I think, because they have things like rock climbing, mini golf and ice skating on the ship and my kids would love that, but it looks like they may be booked for this year. One of my kids also has food allergies, so we've got to be on a cruise that will accommodate that. We have used Disney in the past for another cruise we did and while they were great about the food allergies, the kids/teen club concept they had on board didn't appeal to my kids.

TIA for any info or advice!

Edited by OnMyOwn

I worked in the tourist industry in Juneau during the summers. Bargain cruise lines are not a good idea - Norwegian would be my first choice of the commonly running companies as well :)

We did an Alaskan cruise on Royal Caribbean back in 1999 or 2000.  We absolutely loved it.  If possible, pay for the balcony room.  So much of the cruise to Alaska is the gorgeous scenery and being able to sit out on your own little balcony was a real treat.

The helicopter to the glacier and the dogsled ride were the two biggest shore excursions that sell out way in advance.

We went the last week of August and the weather was beautiful. 

• Like 1

DH and I took an Alaskan Cruise before right before having kids and we went Vancouver to Seward (which you can then fly out of Anchorage) on Celebrity. After having kids we went round trip from/to Seattle on Celebrity. We both preferred the Vancouver to Seward Route because you go further north and have an extra port of call. The R/T Seattle Cruise had an extra day at sea. The first trip we had a really, cheap inside cabin which was fine. The second trip we splurged with the kids who were 3 and 5 at the time and got a balcony. It was so scenic that it was great having a balcony. The kids fell asleep at 8:30 so we could sit outside on the balcony while they slept just inside. I don't think as many families use Celebrity as a cruise line like Disney so I never thought the kids club area was overly crowded. They both liked going and luckily they grouped the 3 and 5 year olds together so they could be in the same group.  If you can try to go a few days early to either Seattle or Vancouver- both cities are amazing and there is so much to do. 

Edited by Nart
  • Like 1

Another vote for a balcony suite, if at all possible. We went on Holland America in July 2014. I can't speak to the teen activities as DS who was almost 12 decided that Club HAL was a place where parents dumped their kids so they (the parents) could have grown-up time. He didn't go up there at all.  :glare: Two of the excursions we loved: the rafting trip on the Chilkot (spelling?) River in the Bald Eagle Preserve. We also did the Land part and drove a Jeep up part of the Denali Highway.

Dh and I went on Princess last August from Vancouver to Whittier, a port for Anchorage (then we picked up an RV and headed to Denali NP :D)

We had an awesome time on our balcony---we dressed for it---and also on the forward decks. The Coral Princess has viewing areas forward which were never ever crowded. We spent hours out there with the naturalist who was narrating for the ship, armed with binoculars and cameras. It was all that I had wished for and more :)

We met several passengers with food allergies who were unifornly pleased with their experiences in the dining rooms (even in the anytime dining room where you don't have the same time/table/waiters). I always ask because our girls have multiple issues.

• Like 1