Menu

Not sending public school transcripts for college application

TwoEdgedSword

This is a hypothetical, so bear with me. A while back I remember someone posting that she'd run into a dispute with a private school where her child was taking high school courses. I'm pretty sure it was part time/dual enrollment. The school wouldn't provide her with a transcript or there was a dispute about the grade earned. I don't remember how it turned out for this family.

Here's my question. If you are taking classes at the local public high school and do run into such a problem, where they either won't provide the transcript or you dispute the grade or credits given in good faith, can you submit your homeschool transcript only, but still include those subjects covered at the public school and the accurate, adjusted credit or grade?

Not trying to perpetuate a fraud. Just wondering if such a situation or dispute comes up, if we are required to submit the p.s. transcript.

This is a hypothetical, so bear with me. A while back I remember someone posting that she'd run into a dispute with a private school where her child was taking high school courses. I'm pretty sure it was part time/dual enrollment. The school wouldn't provide her with a transcript or there was a dispute about the grade earned. I don't remember how it turned out for this family.

Here's my question. If you are taking classes at the local public high school and do run into such a problem, where they either won't provide the transcript or you dispute the grade or credits given in good faith, can you submit your homeschool transcript only, but still include those subjects covered at the public school and the accurate, adjusted credit or grade?

Not trying to perpetuate a fraud. Just wondering if such a situation or dispute comes up, if we are required to submit the p.s. transcript.

I have not provided grade reports from non-accredited providers.  We have requested official transcripts be sent from accredited sources, which in our case were colleges.  

I happened to have attended three schools for grades 9-12.  My final high school included copies of the transcript along with their final transcript where they had transferred credits onto their form.  In other words, I have a transcript from 9th grade, one for 10th-11th grade and then one for 12th grade that brings in the credits from the other two schools.

I think most of the applications ds filled out asked how many schools he'd attended during high school.  If he'd been at multiple schools, then the transcript would (in some way) need to reflect the work done at each.  

I do think it could be interpreted to the student's detriment if grades were issued by a school but transcripts from the school are not included.  If the student left before grades were issued, then I'd expect the course descriptions or counselor letter to address this in some way (either that no credit was assigned to work for that period or that work done at the school was incorporated into the home based course).  I would be very wary of simply changing the grade issued by a school when the course is listed on the homeschool transcript.  If we'd been involved with a school and then had a dispute over grading, I would have addressed it very directly in my counselor information.

• Like 2

Read very carefully the certification that you and your student sign on the application. They usually ask for all official transcripts. Deliberate omissions, if caught early, could cause immediate rejection of the application. If caught later, it could cause the college to deny credit for courses taken and to demand repayment of financial aid.

There was a recent case involving Cornell. They are demanding 100K worth of scholarships be repaid over a missing transcript in a student's application.

http://ithacavoice.com/2014/11/judge-says-part-lawsuit-cornell-students-expulsion-100k-debt-can-proceed/

Edited by JanetC
  • Like 3

One can drop per the established procedure. The decision about what is on the transcript is up to the p.s., which follows its procedures. The student cannot alter the transcript.

You may also be able to erase the bad grade by retaking the class and earning a higher one. Again, depending on the established procedures.

• Like 2

There was a recent case involving Cornell. They are demanding 100K worth of scholarships be repaid over a missing transcript in a student's application.

http://ithacavoice.com/2014/11/judge-says-part-lawsuit-cornell-students-expulsion-100k-debt-can-proceed/

What an interesting story.

also

http://ithacavoice.com/2014/09/cornell-expels-gives-100000-bill-student-application-dispute/

• Like 1

A public high school will not be able to refuse a transcript, maybe a private school could?

If the school won't provide a transcript, you should include the course and grade with a note to that effect. 

If there is a grade dispute, you have to include the course and the grade. I myself would not include a note about a disputed grade in one class, but would be ready to explain if asked. 

Colleges generally specify that you must list every high school and postsecondary school attended, and which courses were taken. That doesn't mean you have to list every co-op or Coursera course, but actual schools? Yes, they must be included. 

If in doubt, ask. Having stuff come out midway through the application process always looks bad. 

• Like 2

A public high school will not be able to refuse a transcript, maybe a private school could?

If the school won't provide a transcript, you should include the course and grade with a note to that effect.

Public schools can refuse to provide transcripts if student owes money, just like private schools. In my district students can owe money for loosing textbooks and library fines, mostly commonly. I don't think many districts follow through on this, but it is listed when fines are described.

Public schools can refuse to provide transcripts if student owes money, just like private schools. In my district students can owe money for loosing textbooks and library fines, mostly commonly. I don't think many districts follow through on this, but it is listed when fines are described.

That's true, I didn't think of monetary situations, I was thinking more along the lines of 'we left on bad terms and now they are refusing a transcript.'