Menu

Testing Help

I'm thinking of having Sacha tested to see if he qualifies for Mensa, so that we can attend the Annual Gathering this summer in San Diego. I need advice on testing.

Do you have a preference on the Cogat + ITBS combo vs. Olsat + Stanford combo? Any recommendations on testing providers? Lastly, what level do I give this kid? He's 1st grade by age, but working at least 2-3 grade levels ahead? If I give an out of level test, am I making it too difficult to qualify for these types of programs? Expecting him to be in the 98th % of 3rd or 4th graders seems like asking a lot. Do they score against his age? Has anyone taken the online version, or do most people prefer paper tests?

Thanks so much.

Edited by SeaConquest

My reason for the test is primarily so that he can attend the event in San Diego. He needs to be 98th percentile on the Cogat or Olsat to qualify, but I don't know what that means exactly for an out of level test.

Some test providers (BJU, for example) will allow you to give a 2nd or 3rd grade version of the ITBS and then give you a report vs. that grade & vs. the age/grade your kid actually is. (I think there is a slightly higher fee.) So, you get two reports.

I believe, like a previous poster, that the CogAT is age-based, not grade-based.

I'd give whatever is the quickest to administer. The ITBS/CogAT combo takes about a week (with around 3 hours a day of testing). We've never done the Stanford.

My kids did the OLSAT+Stanford combo many years ago and the results won't useful since they hit ceilings for their age/birthday (Olsat) and grade (stanford).

For younger age, I was told the OLSAT is verbal instead of pencil and paper. The examiner have to read the question. I had DS10 take the OLSAT for the older age group then as reading the questions is easier than hearing them for him.

Does MENSA allow family membership for the gathering? I know when DD was a preschooler, I found out that she could simply attend with DH or I since we both qualified for local stuff here, so I never bothered submitting her scores. They accept SAT and GRE scores if you took them long enough ago :).

Does MENSA allow family membership for the gathering? I know when DD was a preschooler, I found out that she could simply attend with DH or I since we both qualified for local stuff here, so I never bothered submitting her scores. They accept SAT and GRE scores if you took them long enough ago :).

Hmmm. That's a good idea. I never thought of doing it that way. I think I will call them next week and see what they say. Gosh, who knew my SAT could be useful almost 30 years later? I'm trying to remember what I even scored, it was so long ago. ;) 

The COGAT does have different levels for the same age group, if I understand it correctly:

http://www.hmhco.com/hmh-assessments/ability/cogat-6/tests-and-times

So, I am trying to figure out which level I should give him, or if it even matters. I think I read somewhere that, because the higher levels have more questions, missing some questions counts against your score less vs. taking the easier level test, or some such thing. So, it might be better to give him a higher level? I just don't have any clue about testing.

Oh, forgot to add! Make sure you read that MENSA page closely. I believe you'll have to have someone else administer/oversee the tests if you want them to qualify for their purposes. You probably already saw that, just wanted to point it out.

• Like 1