Menu

Boils

Reefgazer

Can't give any good medical advice here. When I was a kid and got one, they took a piece of bacon and put it over the boil, then put gauze around it. The boil was gone the next morning.

If a boil is an abscess with pus in it, as I am guessing, then, IME, soaking it in VERY hot water (as hot as you can possibly stand) for 10-20 min a few times a day really helps knock it back quickly. That's the trick we use for infections around an ingrown finger/toe nail, and it usually fixes it within 24 hours. Trick is to use VERY hot water on JUST the infected area. A finger is great because it's easy to stick it in a sink without the rest of the hand (which wouldn't be able to stand hot enough water).

• Like 2

Yes, it has pus in it. I did put hot compresses from the microwave on it and it did seem to help very quickly. I don't know that just relieved the pain, or if that is what's going to get rid of it.

If a boil is an abscess with pus in it, as I am guessing, then, IME, soaking it in VERY hot water (as hot as you can possibly stand) for 10-20 min a few times a day really helps knock it back quickly. That's the trick we use for infections around an ingrown finger/toe nail, and it usually fixes it within 24 hours. Trick is to use VERY hot water on JUST the infected area. A finger is great because it's easy to stick it in a sink without the rest of the hand (which wouldn't be able to stand hot enough water).

Boils can take a while to go away. Once they burst, you need to keep draining them and make sure all the nastiness is out or it will come back. If it won't come to a head, a Dr can lance it. If they are really bad, antibiotics might be necessary.

One of my doctors recommended saltwater baths. She told me to go to a pet store and ask for a gallon of saltwater from their tanks. I never tried this, though.

Also, there is a product called boil-ease (I don't know the exact spelling) that helps with the pain. I've never tried it, but my dad says it really works.

I usually use very hot compresses twice a day until it finishes draining and make sure to keep it clean and dry so it won't get infected. I've done antibiotics before for one that wouldn't come to a head. It went down but there is still a knot there. I wouldn't go that route again myself unless I had no other choice.

Edited for typos

Edited by MaeFlowers
  • Like 1

Yes, it has pus in it. I did put hot compresses from the microwave on it and it did seem to help very quickly. I don't know that just relieved the pain, or if that is what's going to get rid of it.

My layperson's understanding of the benefits of hot compresses is that the heat brings blood flow and so good bacteria-fighting blood to the area. Also, if it is hot enough, the heat itself can actually kill the bacteria, which is why super hot soaking can quickly bring it under control. Then you've also got the increased blood flow to help naturally as well. I've never had one on a finger or toe that couldn't be knocked out in 24 hours or so of every-few-hours super hot soaking for 10-20 min. I'm sure we've done this at least 20-100 times in the past decade, as our family is prone to ingrown toe or finger nails from being rough on our cuticles. Keep at it! A bowl of very hot tap water will work just fine, IME. 

http://www.wellness.com/reference/conditions/abscesses/prevention-and-treatment

ps. If you can easily see the pus through the skin, and it is not yet open and draining, I'd lance it with a sterile needle. I happen to have ready access to sterile needles, but if you don't, then you can home sterilize a (large, sharp) sewing needle by boiling it in water for 5-10 minutes. You'll get a lot of immediate pain relief, but keep at it with the hot soaks to get it healed. Once it is opened, then wrap it in a bandaid with antibiotic ointment in between soaks, both for protection from bumping it (painful) and of course to keep the nastiness contained and to prevent new dirt/germs from entering the open wound. 

Edited by StephanieZ
  • Like 2

My brother had several boils on his neck and back -- went to the doctor, and it turned out to be a staff infection (cleared with antibiotics).

Fast forward several months, and I ran into a friend who complained of a couple boils that hurt and wouldn't go away.  I told her about my brother, and suggested she see a doctor.  She did, and sure enough, she was also diagnosed with a staff infection.

I would recommend you see a doctor.  

• Like 1