Menu

What are you using for mental maths?

Rush

I've been using the Abacus Adventure app ($1.99, and there's also a free trial version): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/abacus-adventure-1/id568745401?mt=8

The instruction's not quite sufficient if you have no idea how to use an abacus (I have a basic idea and it helps me expand on the instruction for dd9), but the progression is pretty good and you can repeat levels (with different problems) as many times as you want.  Whenever dd9 gets stuck, we go back several levels.  Usually when we get back to the difficult level it's not so difficult anymore :).

One note: if you try out the free version and like it, when you buy the paid version you have to start over from the beginning.

• Like 1

Learning the Japanese abacus is like learning a musical instrument in some ways.  You need to practice it everyday for a length of time before you can benefit from it mentally.  My children can do mental calculations of big numbers quite easily now, after a few years of learning it.  It is best if you can find an instructor to get you started.

• Like 1

Learning the Japanese abacus is like learning a musical instrument in some ways. You need to practice it everyday for a length of time before you can benefit from it mentally. My children can do mental calculations of big numbers quite easily now, after a few years of learning it. It is best if you can find an instructor to get you started.

Unfortunately, on our island there is no such instructor at all :(

I've bought soroban abacus off eBay today and downloaded a few great apps for beginners. Then we will see. Hopefully someone will suggest anything else :)

Edited by rushhush08